Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

wack

RE: Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

Postby wack » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:06 am

I just got a pair of Muck Woody Elite hunting boots. Guess what? They're made in CHINA! I did fill up the bath tub, yes they're waterproof...for now. It hasn't been cold enough yet to see if they'll be warm, but it's been warm, too warm, my feet should have been soaked with sweat but they stayed nice and dry. It's been 70+ degrees, I had heavy Cabela's Ingenious socks on, the boots and socks worked great together the wick the moisture away.
 My biggest criticism is Muck boots only come in full sizes. one's too small, the next too big, I went with the bigger size. I think I need to buy an extra foot bed for the boots to snug them up. I tried a cheap Oder Eater type cushion in them and they squeak and slide around. When it gets cold, 2 pair of  heavy socks fit perfect, wont need the cushion. The good side is these boots are light and very easy to get on and off. With my bad back,
 Question, are Lacrosse boots made in China too? Is there any good rubber hunting boots still made in North America?

American by birth, hunter by choice.

mn shutterbug

Postby mn shutterbug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 pm

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

My two pennies,

Some are more computer savvy than others, but if you have access to the web (if you've posted to the forum you can search using google) there is no reason you cannot find and/or buy american made.

Google search that took less than a minute turned up several options.

Here is an example and one I've never heard of:

http://www.kenetrek.com/products.asp?dept=1

Maybe it's due to this post being old, but I just checked out kenetrek, and their boots are assembled in Montana but made in Thailand. I did find this site while looking for USA made boots. http://www.afboots.com/Pony-Brown-ULTIMATE.html Also, I've read that not all Red Wings are made in the USA. You just gotta check the label, which I'm going to do in a few minutes when I visit a sporting goods store that carries Irish Setter boots (Red Wing).

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:30 pm

When I saw this thread reactivated I thought someone had just come out of a coma !!![8|]
Semper Fi !

mn shutterbug

Postby mn shutterbug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:16 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

When I saw this thread reactivated I thought someone had just come out of a coma !!![8|]

It's not that old. [:D] However, I wouldn't mind hibernating for a couple months. Anyway, I visited our local sporting goods store and checked out the Irish Setters by Redwing. There were 2 styles that were assembled in the USA with imported materials and the rest were made in China. I also checked a farm and fleet store and everything they had, including a a full aisle of Redwing shoes, were made in China. I'd heard the Redwing had gone this route for many of their shoes, so you really do have to check that label. It really stinks. I think part of the problem is stores thinking they need to compete with big box stores like Walmart, which is well know for extremely poor quality.

mn shutterbug

Postby mn shutterbug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:07 pm

ORIGINAL: wack

Question, are Lacrosse boots made in China too? Is there any good rubber hunting boots still made in North America?

Yep, made in China. However, after a couple more hours online, I found these: http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/justinwb608.html

I just discovered that these Justin boots aren't insulated. I live in MN, so these are not an option for me. [:@]

Previous

Return to Clothing