Suggestions?

ishman

Suggestions?

Postby ishman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Next year me and 2 of my buddies are planning a trip to indiana for gun season. None of us have ever been there. So i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some good public land to check out and also maybe some good places to stay.  Thanks.

Gulfcapt

RE: Suggestions?

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Im from florida ishman and I hunt Deboise Co. stay in Huntingburg at the Quality Inn, and use to hunt the Suger Ridge area. Im on a lease now in the same area. Log on DNR Indiana and look up Suger Ridge or Hoosier Forest which is about 45 miles away, I have never hunted Hoosier forest seen some nice deer that come out of their..... hope it this helps if you need anything else you can I M me good luck

ishman

Postby ishman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info Gulfcapt. Im already checking out that hoosier forest. Lots of land there. Im sure theres lots of hunters too. But thats to be expected. I will have more questions for you in the future for sure. Thanks for the help.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Not just hunters, but hikers, horseback riders, etc. I started hunting in the Hoosier many years ago just south of Bloomington, at the old firetower in the Deem Wilderness area. Lot`s of white-tails and turkey.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 pm

http://www.indianasaltboxlodge.com/

Check the above site out: this is a nice place to stay, it is located in Martin County which is north of Dubois County that Gulfcapt hunts and further south than where hunter480 hunts; some hunters from Michigan stay for a week in archery season and some guys from Georgia stay for some of gun season. They have more than one place to stay though. The Saltbox Lodge in right beside me. Alot of State and even Federal land in the area, but like you said, ishman, there are lots of hunters during firearms season especially.

ishman

Postby ishman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Ive been looking at cabins around patoka lake. Anyone ever stayed in that area. There is alot of different public land within driving distance of there.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Please keep in mind that if you gun hunt in Indiana, your license only covers a buck. If you buy a bonus antlerless tag, you CANNOT use it on any Fish & Wildlife areas and on Patoka Lake, except east of State Road 145 (in Orange County and Crawford County)
and south of State Road 164 (in Dubois County and Crawford County).

ishman

Postby ishman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks Bryan. I did run across that while going thru the dnr's website.

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Some of the Fish and Wildlife areas allow bonus antlerless harvest just not during the first week or so of gun season. Sugar Ridge used to be completely closed to bonus antlerless harvest then they were open for awhile but this past year was just closed to that harvest from Nov 13-28. Hoosier National forest allows the bonus antlerless harvest all season, I think. This url should get you to the page with answers.... http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw ... tguide.pdf

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm

From what I could tell is, none of the Fish & Wildlife areas allowed bonus antlerless during the firearm season.

Next

Return to Indiana