The Best Moment of Your 2010 Season

WiredToHunt

The Best Moment of Your 2010 Season

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 pm

As Ive been reflecting on this past 2010 season, I've realized that some seemingly trivial moments during the past 3 months have left me with the best memories. Even though I didn't shoot a buck this year, I still came away from this season with some awesome memories and experiences.

So I'm curious, what was your best moment of the 2010 season?

For me, it was my 4th day of my week long hunt in Illinois. My camera man and I had hiked into a thick area, hoping to intercept a shooter on his way to bed. Unfortunately it was a new treestand for us and somehow we got lost. Long story short, after looking around for 20 minutes we finally gave up and decided to retreat to the field edge and just sit in a stand for a little bit on a clover field we knew we could find. I figured this morning was a bust.

As we got to this field edge treestand, my camera man climbed up and began setting up his hang on above my stand. Once he was settled, he motioned me up and I began to climb. About half way up, I suddenly heard my camera guy whisper excitedly..."Big buck, big buck!". He told me to get up fast, and then told me to freeze, then get up again. I eventually scurried into the stand, pulled up my bow and attempted to nock an arrow while shaking uncontrollably. My camera man had seen a 150 class buck, skirting the field edge and coming our way. Unfortunately he turned into the timber and walked out of our lives. None the less, it was the hardest my heart has pumped in a long time...and a great memory.

Whats your best moment of 2010?
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

met

RE: The Best Moment of Your 2010 Season

Postby met » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 pm

my best was when i missted a nice 7 pointer on opening day of gun and got him on the 8th of december. in the same spot i missed him at. go figer.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 pm

I did not tag a deer this year (could have harvested a few 2.5 year old buck and prob 20 does, but chose to pass), I would have to say I was able be in the woods when my brother shot a doe opening day of rifle (first time out in 4 years for him) . Although I was not doe hunting got to watch an 8 point and a few doe that day. Decided to let the buck grow for next year. ( I am all archery when rifle comes in unless he's going on the wall he gets to walk). Any hunt that you see nature in its natural habitat is a hunt to remember

fairlane

Postby fairlane » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 pm

2010 Was a very good year for my family.I didn't have as much time to hunt this year do to work but I had made the days I did have count.I got to take my 10yr old daughter out hunting for her first deer and video tapped her taking her first deer,a doe with a cross bow.Her hunt was featured on the Q1 buck pole show.( you can watch it if you go to there websit and watch episode 7).I was very proud and excited. I was able to take my biggest buck a 10pt with my bow,while it stood in one of my mock scrapes.And to top it off my wife shot her very first deer a spike horn.

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Nice! Great to hear stories about getting friends, family and kids in the woods! Definitely the recipe for a great moment in the outdoors.
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:39 pm

We were blessed with a great season.
My step-son shot a nice 5 point buck in his first hunt ever(youth hunt).
My wife tagged both a 60 inch 8 point and a 130 inch 9 point with her bow.
I saw a lot of nice deer, took 4 does and finally tagged a 100 inch 8 point in Ohio.
Witnessed a great deal of awesome deer behavior with my 7 and 9 year old.
Thats a great season.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Im going to say, each time I went up to the UP to but in hours for the upcoming rifle season. I spent time scouting and hanging stands. It was an amazing feeling when I got my trail camera and has 3 shooter bucks on there. That it's self was the greatest feeling, knowing that all my hard work had paid off and I was in the right area. I tagged one of those shooters on Nov 15th. A big 12pt.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

spikecamp

Postby spikecamp » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 pm

I was fortunate to shoot a beautiful 8pt on public land. Oct 22, 2010 very crisp and cool morning to say the least. Jason and I had scouted this two days pryor with rubs and scrapes everywhere. The second day seen young 4pt watched him goe by. The third day was a charm. I had found the small oak tree I climbed with my portable on my back got into my spot 25ft before light, my hand were freezing had way to light of gloves for the morning. I found this thicket area lots of briaers with the way the deer were using it coming out of a small swamp little high ground they were moving towards the freeway from looking at aerial photos of this area. The morning had frosted everything around as the sun came up and started melting everything frm the trees and bushes had not seen much. I had a hawk fly by scared the shit out of me, I was as high as he was flying lol! I kept hearing this hot air balloon, but could not see him. I'm texting on facebook telling my friends I'm up 30 ft in this tree just when you just sense something was coming. When he showed himself I told myself not to look at his rack. This buck had his tongue hanging out like he'd been running frm something or chasing does all morning seeing how it was getting around prerut time. Was I going to use my grunt call if he was to veer away frm me or my own voice as a grunt was on my mind. Here he comes moving slowly right towards me. Ten yrs ago I probably would of been shaking in my shoes. Instead I put everything I had learned frm past mistakes frm my bowhunting experiences. I picked a spot out when I would pull my parker bow back and hold, the buck stepped in not even knowing I was here, I drew back took adeepbreath I picked my spot just behind his shoulder just as I let out that breath One thing I said to myself follow through. Let me tell you when my arrow hit home? I don't know why but I had only got 6" penetration must of hit bone or something. The buck stood there a moment then darted snapping the arrow into. He went just 40yds watched him tumble. I could not climb down frm my tree! I call him hollywood. I have been only here in this great state of michigan over 20 yrs. Ive shot my fair of smaller bucks in my lifetime but this was most gratifiying for me. Hollywood weighed about 180 dressed 19 3/4 inside spread. I dropped to my knees and thanked the lord for this buck of a lifetime, And thanked my buddy dennis who had recently passed. I always tell hunters not to give up. I was in the right place at the right time with always a little bit of luck. P.S. Jason thanks for helping me drag hollywood out of the woods. Will try to post some pictures all this is new to me. thank you for listening to my story all true!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm

2010 was a strange year, I saw more bucks then does. Early October I missed a 5 point, November 14th at noon I got busted by a big 6 point. 4 hours later I shot a big 9point that dresses out at 219lbs 3.5 years old. My best moment was a half hour after the shot when I found him.
I thank God I missed the 5 point and got busted by the 6 point.
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 pm

The best moment(s) of my 2010-2011 season was getting to take my 11 yr old hunting with me. He got to hunting with me on 5 separate occasions. We did not kill any deer on those hunts, but we had fun.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Next

Return to Michigan