Mock Scrapes

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
HuntenFF

RE: mock scrapes

Postby HuntenFF » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:24 am

I have had the same experince last year! Let her fly in a scrape that was already made and had marks on the licking branch. The next evening wlaked by it and it doubled in size! If anything I think it pisses them off! LOL Sorry for the pun! Good luck guys!

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 am

I am with you guys........human urine works just fine.....I am a little interested in the new product made by code blue....you dig a litttle hole and it's SUPPOSE to last for like a month.......I might give that a try for more trail cam pics
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

WIbuckchasers

Postby WIbuckchasers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:54 pm

I didn't make a mock scrape this year. I freshened up a few that I found and juiced up the scrape with Buck tarsal gland scent and I juiced up the licking branch with buck preorbital scent, both I purchased from Paul Pollicks scents. I have never had so many pics at a scrape. I am a real believer in this scent now. The does have even been checking it out and I have never seen that.

EatDeer

RE: Mock Scrapes

Postby EatDeer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:54 am

I use a mock scrape at most of my stand sites, even if they don't use the scrape,  deer will be coming around more to find the "new" deer in thier area.

I use PrimeTime (HS) dom buck urine, and any kind of doe urine I have at the time.  I've used that PT for several years, it always produces curious bucks under my stand. 

I like setting a small oak leaf in the scrape and dripping the doe urine in it like a cup, then I spray the buck urine in another spot in the scrape. Later on the doe urine gets spilled, so the doe scent lasts a little longer.  

If you can get a book on hunting mock scrapes you will know how to set them correctly, and may learn some other methods for scrape hunting as well.

I dont agree with some of the studies done on scrapes, because I've personaly have had better results with my own mocks....
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:05 am

ORIGINAL: tonyotony

Has anyone tried the technique of just pouring a bit of ammonia on the scrape, since it is known that urine mostly breaks down to ammonia after several hours anyways? Also, if you freshen a mock scrape with a urine scent, when is the latest in the season that you would do this/

If the mock scent dosen't smell like deer, then it's probley not going to produce consistant results for hunting big bucks. 

Mature deer aren't as dumb as some people on the forum want them to be....

Most mature deer know if urine is passed over a deer's sexual glands,etc.  As that is the reason they are smelling the urine in the first place. 

I bet if you smelled my mock scrapes set 2 days ago, you would still smell the dominate scent placed there, just not as strong smelling as before.

I use mock scrapes all season long....even if it's just to make a deer curious about the area.  Besides deer scrape and scent all year, they are used to this type of scent interaction. 

crazybull

Postby crazybull » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 am

Wow I'm new to deer hunting and had no idea how much of a lure scrapes could be.  I'll be adding it to my bag o' tricks for next year.  Do you think that its too late now to give em a shot?
Fear the government that fears your gun!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 am

ORIGINAL: crazybull

Wow I'm new to deer hunting and had no idea how much of a lure scrapes could be.  I'll be adding it to my bag o' tricks for next year.  Do you think that its too late now to give em a shot?

Now is the perfect time to place golden estrus in any scrape.   

DannyBouy

Postby DannyBouy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 pm

I tired doing some mock scrapes last year without much sucess. Maybe I was doing something wrong? I haven't tried yet this year. Maybe I'll make one & set up my drip bag over it this weekend. I read all of your suggestions & what you're doing and impliment the best practices.

Good post.

bassslayer

Postby bassslayer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Good stuff guys I will be making mock scrapes next season for sure!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 pm

I've tried a couple of mock scrapes and haven't had any success at all.  I did one last year towards late October with golden estrus and had 1 buck and a couple of does visit it and that was it.  Year before that I tried doing with with human pee and that didn't work at all.  Do you have to use buck urine in them in order for bucks to visit them?  What type of scents is everyone putting in them?
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign