Found sheds already

Patriot

RE: Found sheds already

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

I secured a lease in mid-Sept last year.  Hunted it a handful of times, but plan to do some serious shed hunting and scouting this offseason.  The next weekend with decent weather and I'll be there!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Good one Patriot!! I am going to be near Detroit Lakes in the next 3 weeks so I will go wonder around the woods and look for some sheds.

Any tips on where to look open areas, thick areas?[8|] Or is it just a matter of putting the feet to the ground and doing some walking?[8|]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Dewey - with the deep snow we have I would recommend just walking the deer trails. I found 2 sheds on trails, 2 in my winter green food plot, and 1 in a bed. Good luck!

kragevalley

Postby kragevalley » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Should i be concerned?!?! i found my first sheds december 15th!! i only have a trail cam pic of the buck while he still has both antlers. my concern is that i have heard that dropping so soon could mean the deer is not healthy or possibly very old... either way, this buck is one i would LOVE to see next year. He dropped the antlers in one of our largest food plots, so i have both sheds. I have figured about a 19 to 20 inch spread, but even with broken tines to have 15 scorable points, and crazy mass... what are your thoughts, how could he lose them so early??

kragevalley

Postby kragevalley » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:18 pm

I will post pictures of both sheds in a the next couple of days... friends and family that have had the chance to see them all seem to think he may be quite old...

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:56 pm

That's a very nice deer! It's a little hard to say from the photo, but he does look like a very mature deer. I wouldn't necessarily worry about his health just because he dropped early, and since it seems he made it through the season, I would say you have a good chance he'll be back next year! Good luck.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:09 am

That is a nice buck, I wouldnt worry about his rack dropping early. A guy I know that lives in Northern WI finds his largest sheds right before christmas every year. Those big bucks rut real hard in Oct. and Nov. and they go into post-rut usually right before the year's end.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm

I found 1 more small shed this past weekend, bringing my season total to 6! It's by best total yet, but all the sheds are from 1 1/2 year old bucks as far as I can tell.

The bummer is that I found two fawns, a doe and a buck, dead on my land this weekend. They had been dead for a 1-2 weeks by my estimation. Hard to tell what exactly killed them, but I know there were two fawns without a mother hanging around during hunting season, so I'm guessing it was the same two, and they just didn't know how to survive a tough winter.

cocowheats

Postby cocowheats » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

another MN picker here. way up north though.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Nice pics folks!

I spent about 4 hours on my lease and another 13 hours (on snowshoes) on my main hunting property. No sheds, but the deep snow is hiding them....I'm hoping.

I'll be out again soon!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota