Mineral Licks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
twotone3

Mineral Licks

Postby twotone3 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:42 am

I had been using store bought items for my salt licks but now with the raising gas prices along with everything else I think it is time to start saving a little money by making my own mineral mix.  I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe that works.  Any and all ideas are worth a shot.  Thanks for the help.

ranwin33

RE: Mineral Licks

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 am

We use red mineral salts we buy at the feed store, though the price on that seems to have doubled as well.  Then when some place has the store bought stuff on sale I might pick some up and throw that on top throughout the year.

I did just buy some Whitetail Institute's Optimize, something I said I'd never do, but they had free shipping and I had $24 extra dollars laying around so what's a guy to do.  Haven't tried it out yet though.

twotone3

Postby twotone3 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:11 am

Does no one on this site make their own mineral mix? 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:24 am

This is the one that tends to make the rounds in most hunting forums.

[font=arial] 1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.[/font] 
[font=arial,helvetica][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.[/font] 
[font=arial,helvetica]1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.[/font] 
[font=arial,helvetica]Directions: [/font][font=arial,helvetica]Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.[/font]  [font=arial,helvetica]Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.  [/font][font=arial,helvetica]Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.[/font] [font=arial,helvetica]Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.[/font]

Haven't tried it, our feed store didnt' have the di-cal.

wannabehuntin

Postby wannabehuntin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:42 am

I use 1 bag di cal, 1 bag trace mineral, and 1 bag of salt.  So I end up with 120-140 lbs of mix for about $55.  If it is a new site then I sprinkle some grape Gatorade powder on it and they generally find within a couple days.  I try to do a circle of about foot to foot and a hlaf around a stump and mix the minerals in with the soil.  Heavy clay type soil to me works the best as it holds the minerals unlike a sandy bottom which allows it to seep.
Wannabehuntin

SC bowhunter

Postby SC bowhunter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:44 am

i use this stuff.RACK UP .It has alot of different minerals.calcium ,phosphorus,salt,sodium,flourine,magnesium,sulfur,cobalt,copper,iodine,iron,manganese,selenium,zinc.it costs about 9 bucks for a 6 lbs bag.put in a large 3 or 4 foot circle and pour water on it.It instantly attracts deer.Its not just an attractant.i thought DEER CANE would help but found out its just an attractant and doesnt have vital minerals deer need in antler development and milk production for does nursing fawns.I live on  small acerage and have noticed this year deer are either in love with this stuff or are getting use to walking right by the house to go to the lick.Keep in mind i have four dogs that run loose.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:36 pm

ORIGINAL: SC bowhunter

i use this stuff.RACK UP .It has alot of different minerals.calcium ,phosphorus,salt,sodium,flourine,magnesium,sulfur,cobalt,copper,iodine,iron,manganese,selenium,zinc.it costs about 9 bucks for a 6 lbs bag.put in a large 3 or 4 foot circle and pour water on it.It instantly attracts deer.Its not just an attractant.i thought DEER CANE would help but found out its just an attractant and doesnt have vital minerals deer need in antler development and milk production for does nursing fawns.I live on  small acerage and have noticed this year deer are either in love with this stuff or are getting use to walking right by the house to go to the lick.Keep in mind i have four dogs that run loose.

I used this stuff last summer and couldn't believe how deer were drawn to it.  It was my first expirience with minerals, my goal was just to get deer to stop and pose for my trail camera during the summer months. It was nothing to get over 300 pictures a week at this one camera that had the mineral lick.  Walmart carried the stuff last year for about 6 bucks a bag. I haven't been able to find yet this year and I'm getting about a quarter of the pictures I did last summer.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am

2 lbs trace min salt 1 pound brown sugar. cant use anything in IL. amny more though.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am

Habitat How To's from KDFWR

Here's a link to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources  site.  Check out the PDF on Mineral Licks. It's what I use as a guide.   The biologist that writes a lot of these grew-up just up the road from me, and his father helps me with my food plots.

If you're trying to establish a new lick, I'd go easy on the di-calcium phosphate and introduce it slowly.  The first year I added it to my lick, it soured the deer for well over a month.  It's also getting fairly late in the year to be starting a lick.  Around here, in the Greater Ohio Valley, the best time to start is in March and the peak of usage is somewhere in the next two weeks.  It then falls off precipitously until there are hardly any visits by September.

By the way,  I was out visiting one of my licks the other day, and the thought hit me that the deer had created quite a crater over the past few years, pawing up the ground. I grew up in a construction family, so estimating fill dirt, concrete, etc. comes naturally.  After mentally filling in the hole with the excess dirt that was scattered, I still had a hole that would take over a dump truck load to fill back in.  It occurred to me that this amount was the result of deer and other wildlife carting off the soil in their guts and spreading it over the surrounding forest by way of the natural digestion processes.  Then it occurred to me that with enough salt and enough deer, I could probably excavate a basement in this fashion, and offer the ultimate in green home construction.  However, extrapolating it out, I realized it would be far faster and cheaper to use undocumented workers with shovels.  No matter how unique the idea, home buyers would opt for the faster illegal alien method rather than mine.  Drat!  Still, I could probably sell a thousand words on  the idea to Mother Earth News.   .  .

Then I realized how low I had sunk.  Waiting for deer season to start gets harder every year.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:35 am

now that there is funny and yes you need to get outside a little more[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements