Chronic wasting disease seen in SE Minn. deer

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
mnmaverick

Chronic wasting disease seen in SE Minn. deer

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Bad news for Minnesota's deer herd, as a preliminary test of the herd in SE MN showed CWD in one animal. This is in the same area where an elk farm was shut down not long ago due to CWD.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... 65399.html

rjohannsen

RE: Chronic wasting disease seen in SE Minn. deer

Postby rjohannsen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Bummer.  I hope it is an isolated case, and somehow related to the farm that was shut down.  I don't know a ton about the disease, but I am sure proud of our DNR here in MN and the job they do tracking our herd and keeping it healthy and productive.  See Mav, it was a good thing I took that old doe off the property last September in SE MN.  Ha.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Sorry to hear it but if the test is true you can probably expect more gun season's which are aimed at killing more does.  They are going to probably try and wipe out the deer herd in this area even though that won't do anything since CWD stays in the soil.
Scott

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 pm

I am sorry to hear this also.  Being from the CWD portion of WI, along with Gunther, we know just how ugly it can get when it comes to hunters' relationship with the DNR due to trying to control CWD.  I hope for your guys' sake that the MN DNR doesn't go overboard with seasons and "eradication" methods.  I agree 100% with Gunther when he said CWD stays in the soil so there is nothing the DNR can do to control it (for 15 years from what I've read).  Best of luck to you guys!     
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

According to this updated article, it sounds like the DNR is going to kill off the herd in that area. It's not clear how big the area they want to target is, though.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... anchO7DiUs

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:02 am

Out of curiosity, is the state monitoring the cattle that are being held on the former game farm that tested positive for CWD?  This would seem to be a very important monitoring opportunity, so as to provide proof that transmission to cattle isn't possible. 

This would be good information with which Natural Resources Departments (NRD) around the country could use to base their CWD policies from.  Not jumping right to eradication policies because of fear of transmission to domestic animals and the like, may garner more support of alternative policies put in place by NRD's by hunters and the general public.

vstv

Postby vstv » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:20 am

Here we go again!!!oooh CWD what a waste of time and argument against livestock farmers!!CWD NATURALLY OCCURS!!!The DNR developed a test, that tests for this naturally occurring disease.It has been proven that you could kill 1000 deer and one might have it?Big deal what a joke!!Does it make sense to kill and waste all the other deer for 1 sick deer?I promise you anywhere there is deer, if you test, you will find 1 to test postive.If it wasnt for deer or elk farmers the DNR wouldnt have a clue what this disease was.(Fact) when a deer dies from CWD in the wild you have less then 48 hours to collect it.I dont here anything about the DNR looking for dead deer in the wild.I have worked on deer issues for 21 years!CWD is used as propaganda tool to force Livestock producers out.The reason behind this is the private sector does a better job managing a resource than the DNR.(Fact) Majority of the DNR is a waste of Tax payers dollars.I worked for them as a Biologist for 4 years and it is completely politically motivated for generating tax payer dollars for job security.(FACT) if you gave half of the enforcement divisions budget to our local sheriffs department throughout our state the percentage of game violations arrests would triple!!!DO not fall in this CWD Propaganda Trap.It only hurts a resource.For those who blame livestock farmers like Martin Stubstad,Archery Headquarters they really need to do some research and base this on FACTS!!CWD has been and will be here forever. For those who are running there mouths, a real fatal disease my team is working on is EHD and Blue Tounge these diseases it can wipe out deer numbers by the hundreds in 60 days or less and also kill humans.Thank you Dr.S

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:29 am

Dr. Smith,

I'm interested in your credentials.  There are lots and lots of internet biologists around.

vstv

Postby vstv » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:22 pm

(VIDO)U of M Bio.Chemistry Animal Research, Rochester Mayo

ccoutdoors

Postby ccoutdoors » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 pm

!!CWD NATURALLY OCCURS!!!
If you can't get this fact right, how can we believe your other so called facts and statements...

Next

Return to Breaking News