Picking A Gun?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
redneckprincess

Picking A Gun?

Postby redneckprincess » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:49 am

I'm New To Hunting, So I Was Just Wondering On What Kinda Of Gun Would Be Best For Me And That Woundn't Knock My On My Butt LOL.
?Jennie?

bowman12

RE: Picking A Gun?

Postby bowman12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

.243 is a good choice for recoil, and it still has plenty of power to harvest whitetails.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

You don`t say where you are, so not knowing what arms and rounds are legal, this can only be very general advice.....

30.30 is a trusted round, and I think having a lever-action in the deer woods is kind of a neat thing. In Indiana, we can`t shoot most rifles, but Pistol Cartridge Rifles, (PCRs) are legal, and I have a great Wincher 94 in .44 mag.

Just in general though, a slightly heavier firearm helps reduce felt recoil, and you want some action if it`s a beefy round, to help reduce felt recoil, such as, maybe a gas operated action.

But 30.30, PCR round, .243, even a 30.06 isn`t brutal, and there are plent of different loads available that shouldn`t be too rough on you.

Good luck, hope you let everyone know what you settle on, and hope you enjoy yourself in the deer woods.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:26 pm

ORIGINAL: redneckprincess

[color="#ff6699"][/color] I'm New To Hunting, So I Was Just Wondering On What Kinda Of Gun Would Be Best For Me And That Woundn't Knock My On My Butt LOL.

Hi redneckprincess (Jennie). Welcome to the forum.
You've asked an open ended question. If you were to ask a million different people (and you may have), you could get a million different answers. You asked "What's the best gun for me?". Let me ask you a few questions.
1. Will you use this gun exclusively for deer hunting, or will you use it for small game, doves, ducks, etc?
2. What are the game laws where you live? Can you use rifles for deer hunting or are you restricted to slugs fired from a shotgun?

If you are going to use the gun for anything other than deer hunting, ie, wing shooting. A nice pump or automatic shotgun would work. If you could get a slug barrel for the gun as well, all the better.

If you are going to use this for deer only and your state only allows shotguns with slugs, a dedicated slug gun may be in order.

If you live where rifles are allowed for deer and you are only going to use the gun for deer, then .243 win would work nicely, as bowman12 has suggested. Additional calibers to consider would be 7mm-08, 308, 30-30 win to name a few.

Next, if you go the shotgun route, do you have any experience shooting shotguns? If so, are you comfortable firing a 12ga? If not, go with a 20ga.

Good luck with your selection. Please let us know what you end up with.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

MuzzyLoader

Postby MuzzyLoader » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 pm

You can't go wrong with a .260 Remington! It can take out anything from a woodchuck to a moose. At 300 yds it has more KE than a 150 gr. 30-06 and there is practically NO RECOIL.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features