bowhunting question i have

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DEER

bowhunting question i have

Postby DEER » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 pm

how high should i hang my tree stand? And should i hang it where in a tree that has alot of branches so i have cover? because i all ways ask my self about this. Where is the spot to hang too, like between bedding and feeding area, or at a feeding spot . can you guys help me out before this fall. Thanks 

hunter480

RE: bowhunting question i have

Postby hunter480 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

You`ll get lots of different advice on all your questions, but here goes.....

You`ll want some cover in the tree, something to help break up your outline, but height is a variable that depends partially on the particular area, as well as your preference. Some guys like to go to extreme heights, like 30 feet.......that`s not necessary. I`ve hunted anywhere from 12 feet up to 22 feet up, and even at 12 feet up, I had a group of deer directly beneath me. I do tend to prefer about 16 to 20 feet up however.

It will depend on the area you hunt as well as the time of year as to whether you want to hunt between bedding and feeding areas, at a field edge, or even close in tight to a bedding area. A lot of things factor in to that decision, like, where, and what the deer are feeding on....how close the bedding areas are to the feed......how much hunting pressure in that area........

Generally speaking, if you can intercept deer between bed and feed, you`re in good shape, since you likely can get into your stand without busting deer. Hunting closer to feed or bed gets tricky, because you may bust deer entering or exiting your stand. Do some hard scouting to get a feel for how they use terrain features to move, and follow the trails to see which way is feed, which is bed.......now is a great time to scout, because, runs stand out clearly now.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 am

As far as treestand height goes, just be aware of the fact that the higher you go, the more severe (and therefore SMALLER)the kill areas are.

Severe angles can change drastically where your arrow should ENTER the deer. With a high angle, even though you may enter where the 10 ring would be on a 3-D target, on a live deer it may very well be an unrecoverable wound shot and not a kill.

If you do choose to be up higher than 15' to 18', then I would definately practice shooting at 3-D targets at those heights, beig ever mindful of the penetration and exit points in relation to where the vital organs actually are.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 am

The previous guys nailed it pretty good but I'll throw in my 2 cents.  As far as how high to hang them, it really depends on the area.  If your in some pretty thick woods, I've found that getting up higher doesn't help a whole lot in terms of increasing your range of visibility.  I wouldn't recomend going any lower than 14' though for the simple fact that deer will pick up your movement much easier, but as Woodsy stated, the higher up you go smaller the vitals become in regards to shot angle.  If I'm hunting the edge of an open field or someplace where I don't have much cover I usually shoot for around 20'. 

When it comes to cover, you want enough that approaching deer won't see you before you see them.  Sounds simple, and it kind of is but you also need to take other factors into account like ground cover and topography (if any).  Since your bowhunting, you should be set up on trails so you'll in all likelyhood know where the deer are "supposed" to come from.  As long as you can see deer coming down trails with enough time to get ready for a shot, you should be good.  Don't forget to cut shooting lanes![;)]

Where to hang stands?  Try to locate bedding and/or feeding areas.  If you're able to identify both, finds trails that lead back and forth between them.  On 20 acres I hunt up in the bluffs I have no idea where the deer feed, but luckily there's a bedding area smack dab in the middle of the property so I try to hang stands as close to the bedding area as I can without spooking them out.  If you're going to hunt a bedding area though, just remember to ALWAYS play the wind!  If the bedding area is directly downwind of you, you might as well not even go out.   
I would also like to echo hunter480's comment about getting out to scout right now.  I printed off an ariel photo and went for a walk yesterday and marked down where all the the prominant trails were.  It's never too early to start revamping your strategy for next season!  Not to mention the woods are beautiful when they're snow covered.. 

You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for the question DEER.

How high should treestands be?  The folks above offer some great advice.

It all depends on the available trees, cover, type of stand you are using, and your personal comfort level with heights.

I've killed several deer (with a bow) from a stand that is barely 7 feet off the ground.  I'm personally not comfortable over 20 feet, so that's as high as I generally go.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 am

I agree with Patriot. All of the above and personal comfort with heights. If you are not happy being to high you will not shoot well. Most of your brain will be more worried about falling than aiming.
Eat or be Eaten!!!!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Like everyone else stated, there is no set height to set your stand. I prefer to get higher than most because I have been winded far more often closer to the ground than I have higher up. Everything depends on the situation. I have hunted a steep hillside before where it was impossible to get up on the ridge. Instead, I had to get 40 feet up a tree to have a normal shot down to the ridge, but had to be high enough to stay out of the deer's line of sight. Make sure to practice shooting from whatever height your stand is. I keep a small range in my yard with the stand exactly the same height as I usually hunt from. It matters.

I like to have some cover behind me so my silhouette doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. The more limbs you have around you, the more possibilities there are for your arrow to deflect. If you can find a tree with a thick cedar behind it, you could be next to invisible...just understand that you won't get many shot opportunities that direction.

I like to leave bedding areas alone to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the deer. Screw up and crash their bedding area while they're in in and they might change locations on you for good (especially a mature buck). If you can find a good downwind set-up between the bedding area and feeding area, you should be in business. Thoroughly study the terrain in the area you hunt (especially this time of year). Use maps & satellite images online if you can. Trails don't lie, the deer use them for a reason. Look for changes in vegetation or edges that deer like to use so much. There is also sometimes one of those classic magic trees out there that looks like it grew specifically to hunt deer out of. I can't explain what to look for, but when you see one, it will be obvious. I found one on my lease last year, cleared some shooting lanes from around it last winter, and took 3 deer in four days of hunting from it in the Fall.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:15 pm

If Your Bow Hunting in the early season when there is plenty of cover and leaves on the tree's You don't have to go as high up,or if You find a Cedar tree or 2 it will give You more cover to hide in all year long or if You find a tree with a large diameter it will help hide you also.You also need to use good scent control and wear some camo to hide You,it will also help or if Your stand is located in thick timber or a decent size Cedar tree thicket?

I like to set up a stand a little ways off from a trail or along a field edge close to a food plot,when You Bow Hunt You have to get closer to the Deer and know where they travel,feed or bed down?I will use a climbing stand and move it occasionally if the Deer travel a different route or change their travel patterns and I use a 1-man ladder stand that is easier to move around if I use that to hunt out of and move it around also?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:22 pm

I don't know where you are located but as for cover , trim sparingly . Keep in mind that leafy trees that get trimmed in August are often bare of leaves in October so a lot of the cover is gone .
Semper Fi !

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 am

I like to sit about 12-15 feet. I avoid trees that are in the open or stick out like a sore thumb. My best stand is a straight white oak on a narrow ridgeline surrounded by three younger oak trees I can reach out and touch, they are that close together. Those trees break up my outline real well. I found out if you can stay sitting still as long as you can, deer will come by and not know you are there. And like I said, I usually sit between 12-15 feet up. I like to stay off the deer's main travel routes. I like to get about 30 yards within a trail or a funnel. Not on top of it. hope my tactics can help you. good luck.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting