Slug choice

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mohican

RE: Slug choice

Postby mohican » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: berudd

I didn't think you were supposed to use Foster type slugs in a fully rifled barrel. But I don't have any experience with them so it just what I have heard. Would like to know more as I may try to use 12 ga slugs this season.

Its ok to shoot foster slugs in a rifled barrel.   Leading is typically only a problem occurring only in the minds of gun and hunting magazine writers........ But the accurracy of foster slugs isn't the best.

The Brenneke slug is not a foster slug.  It is an attached wad slug, usually full bore and usually a bit harder than the pure soft lead foster slugs.    Brenneke slugs, in my experience, typically shoot much better than foster slugs, and hit harder.  

Remington gun, Remington rifled barrel, range 75 yards?   How about the Remington Buck Hammer.    It's only at a disadvantage at ranges you shouldn't be shooting an iron sighted slug gun at, anyhoo.    

Another word of advice.  Slug guns are indifiduals.   I have sighted in guns of the same brands, same barrels and found accuraccy with different brands of ammo in each gun.    buy a box of several brands and try them  out.  

pvaccaro

Postby pvaccaro » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Don't ever use a foster style slug in a rifled barrel. You want to use a sabot slug. I have an 870 with remingtons rifled barrel and i use lightfields and love them. They hold true out to 100 yards for me. I hunt with guys who use 870's and they all use different ammo. They use the high trajectory polymer tips, but i stick with my lightfields because that is what worked best for me. Inside of 75 yards you should be able to use any sabot slug and get great results. Try the Lightfield hybrid lights, they have less kick. Lightfield now has 3 hybrid slugs (3", 2 3/4" and 2 3/4" lights) which all zero the same so you can practice with the lights and hunt with the 3" mags. Good luck and happy hunting.

NorthernoaksHunt

Postby NorthernoaksHunt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 am

if you have a bird barrel you can use rifled slugs through that and get 50 yd accuracy for $5 a box of 5 rounds

webfoot

Postby webfoot » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks for all the replies. I have been too busy to get the patterning done ( I know, how can anyone be too busy to get out and shoot! ) but it looks like I'll give the Lightfields a try when I can. I want to be able to take that 100 yard shot if it presents itself, so I think I'll spend the $ on the sabot slugs.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey guys.

I am not a big shotgun guy, and do not know that much about shotguns. I am a Remington 700 guy, have two and know just about everything one can know about them.

So, here comes my question:

This year I am taking a friend of mine named Ryan hunting, to try and help him get his first deer. He has been hunting 2 or 3 times before, but did not have a good mentor or decent property, and was not able to get a deer. So, I offered to take him hunting, on a prime wooded 13 acre spot I hunt, during the early "Urban Zones" portion of the season, which falls Oct. 13-15 about a month before Firearms season.

Here is the dilemma; Ryan is an ex-marine, and is incredibly comfortable shooting open sights, but not very comfortable with a scope. He has trouble with eye relief, and thus has trouble obtaining a full and clear sight picture.
So... instead of having him use my scoped .270 or .308, I suggested that he use my Remington 870 Super Magnum, with a Saboted slug. I have never used that config. for deer hunting, but after reading several things it seems appropriate.

First, I have the stock 870 Super Magnum, so I believe that it has the 'Modified' choke in it. Is that correct?

Can we shoot a slug with the stock barrel and the stock modified choke that is in it?

What distance can we expect accuracy out to?

After reading this thread, and reviews at Cabela's, the 12 guage Lightfield slugs seem like a confident choice. Is that appropriate for this set up?? Most of my shots on this property have been equal to or under 40 yards.

Thanks guys.

Mason Barlow

Postby Mason Barlow » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:03 am

I think the 12 gauge shot gun is the best. Im 14 years old, and last year (2009) I killed my first deer, a 4 pointer with it's antlers under it's chin.[:D]
Mason Barlow

ccondray

Postby ccondray » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks for the great discussion. I'm thinking about taking my Remington 870 out deer hunting this year. Good info on what I need to get for it.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:54 am

I have to put my 2 cents in! I Hunt with a Rem 11-87 and 870 tried different slugs that didn't group like I liked.. Bought a box of the remingtom corelock sabot slugs. They group better then any of the other brands that I have ever used, and I haven't had a deer go more then 30yrds before falling! If you use a slug that drifts on you when fired, you could lose the best deer of your life! We wait all year for hunting season to come in! something as important as a bullet!!!! worth that extra $5-$10.. I would hope so!

That corelock slug has a hollow point that I Thought would make it drift bad! But when I put it on paper the groups at 100yrds are within 1 inch of center

RMc

Postby RMc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 am

First, I have the stock 870 Super Magnum, so I believe that it has the 'Modified' choke in it. Is that correct?

Can we shoot a slug with the stock barrel and the stock modified choke that is in it?

1. Pick up an improved cylinder choke.
2. Get some Winchester rifled slugs.
3. Check out POI vs POA at the range

Then make any decisions on changing the sights, barrel, ammo etc.

BearSnot

Postby BearSnot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

At 50 yds or less, any slug should do the job unless your barrel is bent. I've shot at least 12 or 13 different 12 ga. smoothbore shotguns with Remington Sluggers, Brenneke KO, Winchester Rackmasters, and Federal TruBall slugs. At 50 yds, all of these slugs will perform with deer killing accuracy in all of the guns I have shot.

If you plan on shooting much farther than 50 yds, you might consider going with a scoped rifled barrel and sabot slugs. The problem is that you need to shoot every slug in every length your gun handles in order to accurately determine which it likes best. At the price the Manufacturers are charging for sabot slugs, you will spend the price of a good gun finding out which slug your gun likes best. By the way, it won't do you any good to simply ask someone who owns the same gun as you which slug his prefers as every barrel is different. For example, I hunt with three buddies. All of us shoot 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug guns and all four Ultra Slugs shoot clover leafs at 100 yds, but here's the kicker, none of our guns like the slugs any of the others shoot. My gun prefers Federal Hydra Shok sabot slugs but none of the other three guns will shoot them worth a damn. One buddy shoots Winchester Partitioned Gold sabot slugs and his is the only gun that will shoot them well, the other two like Lightfield EXP and Remington Accutip. My gun is the only one that prefers 3" while the other three guns clearly shoot 2 3/4" better. I mean it is not even worth asking . . . you really need to shoot them to check your own gun.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo