looking to get a new.....

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
msbadger

looking to get a new.....

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 am

bow...I had the PSE Stinger recommended to me...I do luv my old Hoyt and it still works great...but I'm in need of a string/harness replacement ...it cost me nearly 80.00 several years ago so it's a good time to look into the lighter new bows...I don't need a high end....Though the finger shooting is now out....I have a wrist strap release and just can't use it...so I'm switching to a thumb release...much more comfortable...so wouldn't mind some thoughts thrown out...yes I know it really is the feel  for the bow...but....I'd like to narrow the field a bit...so many options...Thanks in advance 

Highlander Archery

RE: looking to get a new.....

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:58 pm

PSE and Martin seem to have the most diversity regarding price points. 

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 am

pse makes quality bows at a feasonable price my son bought one when he used to bow hunt with me but he no longer hunts due to personnel reasons he still swears by pse products as long as you dont buy a kmart blue light special in this day and age you should be able to find what you want in a bow at a price you can afford by going to different manufacturers hank k

MoBowman

Postby MoBowman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 am

I have shot for Martin Archery for several years along with Ross Archery. I have owned several Mathews bows and currentlly shoot Bowtech's. I bring this up for one reason, I am not driven by the name on the bow, only in how the bow shoots and feels to me. That being said, Martin Archery is one of the most underated manufactures on the market. Their Pro series bows for the dollar are hard to beat. Fast, quiet, shock free and reasonably priced.

On the other hand, currently Bowtech has the Assassin on the market fully equipped and ready to hunt for under $600. Includes the bow, rest, sight and quiver. It is light weight, extreamlly fast, smooth and very solid in the hand when shot. Dollar for dollar you will not find a better outfit to shoot.

Now, don't take my word for it, go to your local pro shop shoot as many bows as you can then begin to weed em out and select the one that feels best to you. Don't take your buddies word for it, he has already formed his opinion, don't take the pro shops word for it, their goal is to sell you a bow, shoot em and figure out for yourself what is best for you.

Good luck.
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass it on
www.Missouriwhitetails.com

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:38 am

I have a PSE Stinger and love it!  It isn't the fastest bow on the market but it gets the job done well and it's at a great price.
Scott

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 am

Well I would reccomend something like an older Mathews model but that will still cost you an arm and a leg.  Try looking into Mission line which is made by Mathews but doesn't include all the bells and whistles like the harmonic dampeners and string supressors.  They're great bows.  I shot numerous models when I was looking for a new Mathews and besides being a tad slower and louder, you can hardly tell the difference as far as smoothness and hand shock.  Just my 2 cents.   
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am

Stick with the Hoyt!

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 pm

i love dartons, hoyts, but price a can hurt. martin is a good bow i head that customer service from them sucks. look at fred bear.i own pse don't like them.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 am

It's certainly no secret what brand of bow I shoot, but "most" brands will have a bow that feels good to you. I think something to consider is what brand(s) does your local bow shop carry. If you ever need work done on your bow, it's a better chance of them having parts in stock & getting it fixed quicker.

This time of year, you have a good chance at buying a 2010 leftover bow at a very good price.

Good luck with your search.
Dave M.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:33 pm

There are so many excellent manufacturers out there . I never would have considered a Ben Pearson bow but I won a Pearson TX-4 in a raffle and have shot a few deer with it and love the thing . Check out a few Bow Shops and try out several brand / model bows .........
Semper Fi !

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting