Reducing recoil in T/C Omega 50 cal.

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
riverrat

Reducing recoil in T/C Omega 50 cal.

Postby riverrat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:42 pm

I want to reduce recoil due to neck problems so I’m considering reducing the load in my T/C Omega 50 cal. from 100 gr. to 80 gr. I haven’t done any research yet and was hoping one of you guru’s could shed some light on this with pros/cons.

Cut N Run

RE: Reducing recoil in T/C Omega 50 cal.

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

I shoot a lighter bullet (240 grain sabot) in front of 90 grains of Pyrodex and it does fine on deer. I'm not going to be entering any long distance shooting matches with it, but at normal hunting ranges that reduction helps maintain accuracy and knockdown power. I imagine 80 grains would work well too, just make sure you understand the bullet's trajectory at any distance you intend to shoot, because it will drop quicker than with a hotter load.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Recoil is really just a matter of high-school physics and Newton's Laws.

Reducing the load will reduce the recoil --less mass going out the barrel and what does go out the barrel goes slower
Reducing the mass of the bullet reduces recoil-- less mass going out the barrel

However. . .

So does INCREASING the mass of the rifle.

Download POINTBLANK software. It's free on the web.  Play with the recoil calculator.  Look at what adding 2 lbs to the weight of the firearm does to the result.

Is yours a composite or laminated stock.  If the former, you can probably open up the back of the stock and it will be hollow.  Stuff a couple pounds of lead weight in the back, stabilize it with some foam or something and then see how it shoots.  You'll be amazed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

riverrat

Postby riverrat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 pm

I used to shoot 90 gr. in my old muzzleloader also, now using 100 gr. 777 pellets. My main concern is knockdown power vs yardage?, most of my shots are within 100 yards. Shaman I have a composite stock and will down load pointblank. I’m using 250 gr. sabot right now and will go to a 240 gr. sabot with 80 gr. propellant. When it warms up some will have to do some shooting. Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to Guns and Ammo