whats you atv for?-really?

jonny5buck

whats you atv for?-really?

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Im not against atv's at all- but i have noticed a trend that more and more hunters are becoming so lazy that walking a hundred yds is almost obsolete-i understand some may have physical limitations/im talking about Healthy ,capable,hunters who simply rely on that equipment more for CONVENIENCE than nesc.-While looking at some old maps of areas i hunt- i can say sometimes i have walked up to 3miles for just one evening or morning hunt-how far do you walk?

shaman

RE: whats you atv for?-really?

Postby shaman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:56 pm

No ATV's at our camp.  I told the kids when we bought the place: "We can buy atv's and ride them and when your Dad (me) gets to be 70 or 75, he'll pass on and you'll all talk about what a full and happy life he had.   Or we can just hoof it around the place and you'll be having to beat me to death when I'm in my 90's.  Have your pick."   They picked walking.

I encourage atv usage as much as possible.  It's funny.  You hear my neighbors crank up their ATV's and a little later you see deer running from their property onto mine.  Yep!  Y'all keep ridin' them!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm

On the 6 acres i hunt-it borders about 150-200 acres of the same type of woods i had a guy ride thru numerous times in the morning and evening from the far WEST side of the woods directly on their quad trail-right smack dab thru the middle of the woods-to the EAST property line-6ft from my stand then north 60yds.....then directly west again almost back where he started.I can't tell you how many morning hunts i had deer crashing thru our property never slowing down-running like a bat outta hell! Evening hunts were just as bad.....at 1;30pm jonny5buck is in his stand when possible.......this guy was driving thru 30 minutes before sunset- i seen one deer that year...thats it ! I never seen this guy before,and i hope he's gone-the previous quad guy was much much smarter-he drove the road edge past our property than north only as far as he had to ...i talked to him before and we had permission to get deer on his prop.and he had permission to just get his deer if they fell on ours-The 'jackwagon' drive thru the middle of the woods guy will not be missed-fortunately i have other private spots to hunt and public property i hunt-just amazes how this guy couldnt figure out what he was doing.....ruining everyones hunt

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 pm

How about all the above. I use it to get to my stands, to hang stands, plant food plots, plow snow, haul wood, get deer out, hang deer, rake trails. I use it all the time, it's like a Swiss Army knife with a combustible engine.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 pm

maybe he is against hunting that why he does it you should try and approach carefully does he have permission to travel on your property here in nj you must have written permission on your possession if you are stopped by anyone or they can file a trespassing complaint if he is antihunting maybe you should inform him about hunter harassment laws do you have them where you are hunting hank k

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 am

We use our ranger for just about everything.  We have used it for hauling deer, planting food plots, hauling materials for fencing, hauling wood and picking corn up.  
Scott

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:07 am

I voted to get a Deer out. I never ride it to the stand in the mornings to hunt. However, depending on where i'm hunting in the afternoon, I will sometimes ride it to get close to my stand. Other than that it pretty much just sits in the shop except when the Kids want to ride for a little.

DannyBouy

Postby DannyBouy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 am

I use mine mostley for fun, but I use it as a tool and for convienience too. Our season is short and use it all fall, part of the winter when not snowmobiling and all spring. Summer is boating season! It's not uncommon for me and others to ride to thier spot and have sucessful hunts. They're used so much and hunters are so close, I swear the deer are used to the sound. I started walking to my stand this year though 300+yds. Had no noticable difference in sightings and results.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 pm

I just use mine for getting to a blind, getting a deer out, or anything hunting related.. I dont use mine to much other than that.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Anything hunting related on the off season, riding for fun sometimes. The only way it goes in the woods during season is to pick a downed deer up. Offseason I use for hauling wood, planting plots, and taking stuff back in the woods hunting related. I won't drive a wheeler on the property I hunt from last week of august until spring thaw

Next

Return to ATVs