The truth about Broadheads

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
JPH

RE: The truth about Broadheads

Postby JPH » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:20 am

ORIGINAL: nuideas1

I appreciate all the candid comments. I am not really looking to change but I just hear a LOT of hype about mechanicals and wanted to get down to the real meat of the issue with experianced hunters who have used them.
As far as the flip side from Goose I do agree you have some good points but at least some of the more advanced or mechanical systems increase your odds by far. One for example being a compound bow over a long bow. You can shoot farther, faster, harder hitting, and over all an exceptional improvement over a wide range of scenarios. Add in reliability(never had a compound bow failure) to that and you have a case for one over the other for those who choose that option . It seems by the comments from mechanical users that they don't offer a huge advantage over fixed blade. 

The reason I wondered why you were asking is that is kind of a hot button issue on this forum. Some posters here are very passionate in their distaste for mechanical broadheads. I was a little suspicious that you might be asking simply as an excuse to criticize. In reading your above comment I see that I was wrong, so I'll answer the question.

I shot a big old, cut-on-contact, four blade fixed for my first ten years of bow hunting and had good results. I did not shoot very fast equipment in those days and was limited to 20 yards. Eventually I began to upgrade my equipment and my arrow speed increased. As I got above 270fps I began to experience tuning problems. I tried a lot of fixes but nothing really closed my groups up until I went to the "Rocky Mtn. Sniper" (the precursor of the Rage-2). The improvement was immediate and I increased my effective range by 10 yards in the first season.

Today I am a died in the wool Rage-2 user. I shoot a bow rated at 318fps and I land tight groups at 45yds with them. I have seen the Rage-2 open gory holes in deer over and over again. Two years ago I made a horrible shot that entered a quartering away buck in his rt. rear leg and exited in his belly. It was a terrible situation but the Rage opened up such a large wound that I recovered the deer.

I am not proud to admit that in 10 years of shooting a fixed blade and 5 years of shooting a 2 blade, slip cam, mechanical, I have lost deer with both. No excuses but it was never due to a broadhead failure. If a hunter's fixed blade head is working, I say keep using it. I only switched because mine were not flying right. Now I am sold on the Rage-2.    

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:45 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I am not proud to admit that in 10 years of shooting a fixed blade and 5 years of shooting a 2 blade, slip cam, mechanical, I have lost deer with both. No excuses but it was never due to a broadhead failure. If a hunter's fixed blade head is working, I say keep using it. I only switched because mine were not flying right. Now I am sold on the Rage-2.    

Mine were not because of broadhead failure either, but if I happened to be using mechanicals at the time, theres no doubt that everybody would say that it was because of broadhead failure.

My case is very similar to JPH's. I could not get my broadheads to tune right. This became very obvious when I started using a lighted nock.
At that point I really started to learn how to properly tune a bow and worked on my form etc... I switched to mechanicals and my accuracy improved dramatically.
My biggest goal when releasing an arrow at a deer is for the arrow to go where I am aiming. With the mechanical head, I have perfect confidence that this will be done unless I myself make a mistake.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

nuideas1

Postby nuideas1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:03 am

From what I have heard arrow flight issues seem to be the primary reason hands down for going to mechanicals. Interesting that Rage 2 is also the mechanical of choice not only on this forum but from others I have talked to. I think it's safe to say anyone that has been hunting for a while has lost deer. I know I am in that category as well. Again I appreciate the comments. I think as suggested I will stick with my set up. I can make a 45 yard shot if needed but am very comfortable out to 35. In real life I rarely get the opportunity for a shot over 35 yds in the areas I hunt.
Great forum!!   

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:05 am

ORIGINAL: nuideas1

I can make a 45 yard shot if needed but am very comfortable out to 35. In real life I rarely get the opportunity for a shot over 35 yds in the areas I hunt.

^ Same with me. Exactly!

Just my thoughts on why the Rage is so popular. I liken it to why the Glock is such a popular handgun. I was a dead set on revolvers for years. Simple, reliable and no jamming. I avoided semi-automatics out of fear of moving parts and the inherent problems. Then I shot a Glock. Agan, simple, reliable, with no jamming (or very little), just like a revolver and the added benefit of high capacity magazines. The Glock was so different from the semi-autos that came before it. Being a rear opening slip-cam the Rage is unlike the mechanicals that came before.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the Rage. Use what works for you. Best of luck! 

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:10 am

i shoot rage two blade and they work great for me.i like the broadheads for the fact they shoot like my field tips.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:13 am

I say use what makes you happy and what works for you.  Do we really need to argue about fixed versus mechanical?  [:D]  I think we went to this rodeo before. 

I've used both and have success with both.  Only one failure, and that was last year with a mechanical BUT that could have been user error.  I'll never know.
QDM!

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:26 pm

I've been shooting Muzzy's for about 15 year's, since I began, and I really don't think I''ll change. I've shot Deer that did not know what happened, shooting a Mathews helps too.

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:44 pm

titleAndStar(89,0,false,false,"","")

[align=center] [/align]
BUCKHUNTER21 IS RIGHT...,YES, WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS ISSUE BEFORE, ASK WOODS WALKER.  AN EXAMPLE BELOW.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: bowhuntr15

G5 Montec broadhead is a great broad head - used to shoot them, and Muzzy, and....  Shot placement is very important and there are a lot of great broadheads out there that will put a deer down.  I finally settled down and have shot Rage (2 and 3) for the past few years.  All deer I have hit..., hit because I have missed, have fallen pretty quick.  By having the extra 1 to 1.5 EXTRA cutting diameter, I know I have had some potential marginal shots become fatal.  Hope you can see pic.      
[/blockquote]

GREAT! I think I need to look at the Rage so I can take shots I normally would not, because of that extra large cutting area. I mean, what used to be low percentage marginal shots are now fair game!

>>>--------------------------------->

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies..... [align=right]
(in reply to bowhuntr15) [/align]

Image Image Image Image
Report | Post #: 25 Image

Image RE: newbie to archery'" - 8/16/2010 4:41:05 PM   

showPicture("8/16/2010 4:41:05 PM",0,0,0,75167,17)

bowhuntr15

[align=center] [/align]
WW, I believe you may misunderstood what I wrote.  I do hunt hard for I spend hours in the woods, hours on stands & ground waitng for "the moment". I do (not try) my best as an experience  (not professional) bow hunter to kill swiftly, for I wait for what I know is an "ethical" shot,  cutting diameters do not dictate ethical or consciously marginal shots.  I waste nothing of the beautiful deer (that is in my opinion edible - and I hope we agree to disagree) nor waste an opportunity to respectfully try to help a brother in our hunting community.  Finally, I offer no oppologies for offering my opinion.  There was no insinuation for anyone to look at a rage to take shots they normally would not.  IMO, I think (not know) you read too much into this matter.  Good luck to you, don't take maginal shots, and if it's a marginal shot (because it does happen), you know the drill.  God bless. 

"Fun, Family, Friends" [align=right]
(in reply to Woods Walker) [/align]

Post #: 26 Image

Image RE: newbie to archery - 8/16/2010 4:51:45 PM   

showPicture("8/16/2010 4:51:45 PM",0,0,0,75167,17)

bowhuntr15

[align=center] [/align]
P.S.  mbcook, do not take marginal shots.  Fixed blades vs Mechanical, brand vs brand..., whatever works for you, brother.  Trial and error, it's a matter of how YOU feel comfortable, confident, what works with your set-up, and being "ethical" about your hunting practices.  Once again, good luck!! 

"Fun, Family, Friends" [align=right]
(in reply to mbcook) [/align]

Post #: 27 Image

Image RE: newbie to archery - 8/16/2010 5:18:26 PM   

showPicture("8/16/2010 5:18:26 PM",0,0,0,75167,17)

Woods Walker

titleAndStar(3271,0,false,false,"","")

[align=center] [/align]
I'm glad you specified that, because while you don't use them for that purpose there ARE people who do, and who are always looking for a edge without the work involved.

I cringe every time I see an ad for a broadhead that even IMPLIES that it can make less than marginal shots into good ones, and this includes "makes a bigger blood trail that's easier to follow", because that's just BEGGING someone who's less than ethical in their shots to do just what I implied in my response, and we all know that they're out there. If you can't put the arrow where it should go in the first place, all the gimmicks in the world aren't going to help you.

>>>--------------------------------->

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies..... [align=right]
(in reply to bowhuntr15) [/align]
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

bow_junky

Postby bow_junky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 pm

I think alot of it boils down to our human nature to want the the "latest greatest thing".  Every little gadget we have to have has its pros and cons, but I think the biggest key to any of it is CONFIDENCE.  Name brand, generic brand, 2011, or 1911, if you dont know your equipment limits and have the confidence to utilize it your gonna have a oh-oh moment.  So keep doing it how you like it and awesome job helping others out.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features