Self imposed shooting standards?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Bowtechian

Self imposed shooting standards?

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 pm

I was briefly listening to a Chuck Adams seminar at the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show this week. He mentioned that a compound shooter should be able to shoot 1" groups @ 10 yards, 2" @ 20 yards, 3" @ 30 & so on. It got me thinking about what I personally accept as good shooting for myself. If I shoot a 3" group @ 50 yards, I feel like I'm off and have some work to do.

Do you set your own standards, or are the numbers Chuck mentioned a more reasonable expectation? Certainly as I age & my eyesight changes, his numbers will slowly turn into a good day of shooting.
Dave M.

Bob Olsen

RE: Self imposed shooting standards?

Postby Bob Olsen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 am

I had better start practicing.

retiredsailor

RE: Self imposed shooting standards?

Postby retiredsailor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I too caught Chuck's seminar (the one where the prize winner didn't show up so Chuck had to wing it for 45 minutes - and he did a good job). I thought that the numbers he gave, such as 1" groups at 10 yards, etc., sounded reasonable and something that I generally strive for; however, he also made a comment about drawing the bow that got my attention.
While I'm certainly no professional with my bow, I shoot a lot and try to be ready when I hit the field. Chuck talked about some folks (me included here) starting their draw by either pointing the arrow up or down and then use that leverage to complete the draw. I've been shooting (drawing) like that for years. He put it into good perspective for me by pointing out that I am creating a lot more movement then I should by drawing like this.
The primary reason for this type of draw - at least in my case - is that I can no longer properly handle the designed draw weight of my bow. It is designed to have a draw weight of 60 - 70 lbs, and over the years, I've reduced the weight until now I have it set to around 57 lbs and if I lower it any more, I'm afraid that the limbs will pop off. Not a good picture.
Now that he made me realize what I'm doing and why I'm doing it that way, AND, considering that I can't safely lower my draw weight any more, I've got to confront the fact that I should consider buying a new bow - one that has a draw weight range more to my capability.
Chuck's comments about the importance of constantly checking the proper seating of the peep also hit home with me. Couple of years ago I missed several 'easy' shots due to that fact that my peep had come loose and was sliding just a tiny bit up and down the string.
Overall I enjoyed his presentation and came away a bit wiser. Now I've got to start looking for a new bow.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting