wet!

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
wisbowmadness

wet!

Postby wisbowmadness » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 pm

last year i planted corn and an alfalfa clover mix in one of my foodplots. its about an acre and i want to use it for hunting purposes. last year was an extremely wet year by me and that area flooded so it was good and bad. it was suppose to be a flot that the alfalfa and clover would come back but now that it all died i get to start over. what do you think would be the best thing for me to plant in this small plot? as i said before i want to ahave something to hunt that will be attractive in the early season. last year the little bit of clover and alfalfa that survived did not even get touched so not sure i would do that again. any ideas?
-its not a passion...its an obsession-

prohunter

RE: wet!

Postby prohunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Wisbowmadness,
If i had to pick just one i would plant soybeans.
but if it was up to me i would plant corn and soy beans, but i would make sure that it wont drowned,make sure it has a way to drain.
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:21 pm

I would also say soybeans.  My cousin and I are going to plant soybeans this year but we are going to plant them late like in July, that way the plants are still green so it should be a great early season plot.  Not only will you have a early season plot but once winter hits you will have late season plot as well.
Scott

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 am

I'd find a backhoe and dig some drainage ditches....or rent a trencher...but I'm lucky and have a backhoe....I have a couple of very moist areas and Jumbo clover grows great there...you have to keep up on the lime though....remember all these fast acting limes don't stay in the soil like granular or ag lime....Alfalfa likes WELL drained soil....I had soybeans in two areas one high dry ground and they grew like mad even though the deer hit them hard all summer...the other was in low wetter area and they didn't recover from browsing as well.....Good luck this year

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 pm

re; wet .
i dont know if i would go to a backhoe but i would use a sub soiler and go over it good.
but sink it deep as it will go ,this tool will be easy to find or rent . it sounds like the ground is to bound up with silt and this will help it drain. i do this even on high ground to help the ground hold moisture also, it can work both ways. it will help the high ground by holding water in those cracks instead of running over the hill.
i hope this helps you.
jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements