Hunter accused of poaching trophy buck gets jail time in plea deal

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
rllarson

RE: Hunter accused of poaching trophy buck gets jail time in plea deal

Postby rllarson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 am

I agree with Bowtechian he is not a hunter 
what a waste of oxygen he is.

Benwha

Postby Benwha » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am

This is the kind of person that gives ethical hunters a bad name, and fuel for PETA. He should have lost his hunting PRIVLIDGES for life, and, since fe didn't reveal how he poached the deer, he should have lost his bow and firearms and the right to ever own any again. One has to wonder how many other animals he's poached.

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:43 am

Too bad

Pursuit Hunter

Postby Pursuit Hunter » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:06 am

Too bad such a magnificent deer lost its life at the hands of such a scumbag.
Hunting takes place before you climb into your stand. Everything after that is just shooting. TM

www.pursuithunting.com

Semper Fi

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:25 pm

It goes to show how stupid some are.  Why would someone shoot something that was done illegally and draw attention to themselves?

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 am

Why the plea deal? This "P.O.S." was caught red-handed!!!  This is one lazy prosecutor. Twelve charges were dismissed? Gimme a break!!! His atty. said he "thinks" he learned his lesson. I'll bet the atty. got more money than the state. Hey Troy, stay the Hell out of Illinois !!!

DannyBouy

Postby DannyBouy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 am

Poaching is unquestionably wrong, but he did only poach a deer. It's not like he murdered a Human Being! He's going to serve 245 days in jail, must pay $2,00 in fines & costs, lost his bow and hunting privledges for five years not to mention his legal fees. I think that's enough. I'd propably agree that he should have have lost his truck too. People get less of a sentence for Assult & Battery, DWI, and in some cases even Man Slaughter. Crimes against PEOPLE.

I'm not defending him; what he did is wrong & illegal and he deserved to be punished, but the outcry that he got off easy is off base. I think given the rest of his criminal background that perhaps he got off a little easy, but, his poaching penealties are appropriate in my opinion.

On antoher note, fining poachers based on antler score is wrong too. That tells us that beig bucks are worth more than small bucks or does and that poaching a small buck or does is "Less Illegal". A deer's a deer and they're all worth the same, trophy or not and fines should reflect that.

Have a great weekend![:)]

riverrat

Postby riverrat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm

This man is no hunter; he deserves every thing he got and more! The fine and jail time should be so severe that he will never take that chance again. I like charging more for bigger racks because there is a market for big racks out there and they can be sold for big dollars. That is one huge 8-point!
“Had the animal been killed legally, it would have been the largest 8-pointer ever registered by Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young, which records trophy animals.”

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:56 pm

DannyBouy, I put out "Deer Supplement" 20 month's before I got a ticket. I felt like I was right so I fought the citation in court. All in all, it cost me about $500.00 and I had to miss ten days of the rut. The C.P.O. said if I had been "set-up" on the supplement (hunting over the spot where the supplement was,or a trail leading to it) he would have taken my bow and if I remember correctly, my 2 friend's bow's and my friend's truck. Rules are there for a reason. Hell, the State even puts them in a book for us. Maybe they should write a book of what the punishment is too! As for me, I made an honest mistake and because my parent's raised me right, if I'm not sure of a rule or regulation, I'll look it up in the book or call the C.P.O.who tries to make hunting better for those of us who abide by the rules.

Paul Blackburn

Postby Paul Blackburn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:37 pm

One see's hoofprints,one hears hoof beats, one might think of horses in America, but in Africa, it might be zebras. Keep it simple,and try to get it right.
Paul Blackburn

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News