Alleged Thieves Steal Poached Deer Mounts

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ben Sobieck

Alleged Thieves Steal Poached Deer Mounts

Postby Ben Sobieck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:54 am

In Minnesota, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) displays its "Wall of Shame" at public events. The Wall contains mounts of poached game. It's an interesting way to educate the public about poaching.

Unfortunately, it seems not everyone is taking the message to heart. Three men were recently charged with stealing and/or possessing some of the mounts from the Wall of Shame. The Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper reported on the incident in this article:

"St. Paul police learned on Jan. 10 that someone had broken into the DNR's metro storage facility on Warner Road and stolen outboard motors, power tools, chain saws, computers, trailer ramps and 19 animal and fish mounts. The mounts were part of the DNR's 'Wall of Shame,' a traveling exhibit of poached wildlife meant to encourage people to follow hunting regulations."

Authorities learned of the thefts after one of the men allegedly stole a tomato from a courthouse cafeteria. He allegedly gave a responding deputy a fake ID.

If the allegations are true, the Wall of Shame may need its own Wall of Shame.

Click here to read the entire article from the Star Tribune.

Bob Olsen

RE: Alleged Thieves Steal Poached Deer Mounts

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:21 pm

OOOH Boy, I hope the State doesn't use the same Prosecutor that they used when that "P.O.S." poached that huge 8 pointer. Sounds like "Grand Larceny" to me and like "Three Strikes, You're Out". I wish they had been caught in Pike County, Illinois.

Return to Breaking News