Fitness Assessment for Hunters

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
pickleguy

RE: Fitness Assessment for Hunters

Postby pickleguy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am

Guys
I applaud your efforts in being fit enough to do certian asspects of hunting. I try to keep myself in fairly good shape going into the hunting seasons especially since I go to Idaho each fall Elk hunting. I just think what you are doing now is just another case of over complicating our sport IMO.
Just my .02 worth.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

You and I may be the only two nerds who care about this J. But for what it's worth...

I was looking at 5 events to evaluate endurance and total body strength. I am also working to make it very realistic for the average hunter. So far what I have should be doable for almost anyone without a disability and can be done with equipment found in a hotel fitness room.

- 1 mile walk/jog for time on a treadmill at a 4% incline and loaded with a 25 lb. backpack and two 5 lb. dumbells. (overall endurance)
- Max set of pull-ups. (strength as it relates to tree stand safety)
- Max set of dips.(strength as it relates to tree stand safety)
- Max plank for time. (overall core strength)
- 4 rounds of 5 yard "dot-drills", :60 each. (an excellent way to simulate the stress of dragging a deer without special equipment)

Most PT tests have a minimum passing score. I think it would be better to leave this test open ended at the bottom. Let's face it, we're going to hunt no matter how we do on the test. This is to see where we can improve.

That being said, I would like to establish a maximum score. If a hunter can score 100 on this test, they should move on to other more challenging tests.

I used to be a PT stud. I like the events you came up with. Now we got to put a time limit during each event. It could be 3 minutes, 5 minutes, or even 15 minutes per event. I wouldnt want to feel like I am in a iron man competition. Also, what would would be the minimum percentage to pass and what would be the maximum percentage for each event, how many repetitions would you need to do to pass? Kinda like a US Army APFT. Set a standard for age groups, say between 18-21 , 22-28, and so on. We have to understand we all have different body types too. This probably wont fly for everyone, just those who want to set a standard for themselves.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:35 am

ORIGINAL: pickleguy
I just think what you are doing now is just another case of over complicating our sport IMO.
Just my .02 worth.

Almost every state requires hunters to complete a hunter safety/firearm course prior to buying a license. Blaze orange requirements and a whole host of other safety regulations are also required by states in an effort to reduce hunter/bystander morbidity and mortality. All but the most Libertarian of us accept those efforts as good things.

Statistics show you and I are FAR more likely to be killed or crippled by a heart attack, stroke, treestand fall or other injury while hunting than being struck by a bullet or arrow.

I disagree that encouraging hunters to go afield with as much strength and conditioning as possible is "over complicated". As long as I have access to this forum, I'll do what I can to help others get there.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:28 pm

[color="#ff0000"]
Now we got to put a time limit during each event. It could be 3 minutes, 5 minutes, or even 15 minutes per event. I wouldnt want to feel like I am in a iron man competition. [/color]

- The first event, one mile loaded and an incline, is timed. No minimum score but there would be an incentive to go as fast as possible.
- The pull-ups, dips and plank would not be timed. A participant could hang in as long as they want, but the event ends when they drop off the bars or fall out of the plank. Pull-ups and dips would be scored with max reps and the plank would be timed.
- The 5 yd. dot drills would be done in four sets of 60 sec. each.
- I do not advocate a specific recovery period or time limit on the test as a whole. I will explain why below.

[color="#ff0000"]What would would be the minimum percentage to pass and what would be the maximum percentage for each event, how many repetitions would you need to do to pass? [/color]

I have scaled it to have no minimum score, only a maximum score of 100 pts.
- The max treadmill score is 20.
- The max pull-up score is 12.
- The max dip score is 12.
- The max plank score is 12.
- The max 5 yd. dot drill score is 11 per round for 4 rounds for a maximum of 44.
Again let me explain my reasoning at the end/

[color="#ff0000"]Set a standard for age groups, say between 18-21 , 22-28, and so on. We have to understand we all have different body types too. This probably wont fly for everyone, just those who want to set a standard for themselves.
[/color]
I have never bought into using a grading curve that caters to age or gender. The work load is the same no matter who you are, so the evaluation should be as well. Again, it is only a tool for measurement so who cares how you measure up to others? It is about knowing yourself and fixing what you can. The reason I think there should be a maximum score is because I agree that we all have a wide variety of physical abilities. Those who can sore a 100 are most likely at a more elite level of fitness and should move on to other, more demanding fitness evaluations. Not that they should not occasionally come back and take the assessment, but that their efforts may be better spent elsewhere.

Now finally on the issue of time. Here is where I feel the concession to the older or less athletic participant should be made. There is a reason that the fire service CPAT of the Army APFT are timed. Because it is not enough to be able to do the work, you must be able to do it quickly in order to save lives. Hunting is not like that. Yes, it can be strenuous at times, but it is also a leisure activity. Who really cares if you need 10 minutes of rest between walking to your stand and actually climbing it, as long as you have the endurance to get there and the strength to climb? Just leave early if you need to. Another example would be dragging a deer. You may drag your deer 30 feet and rest 30 sec., while I may drag my deer 30 feet and rest 2 min. It's going to take me longer but to get out of the woods but I'm being aware of my body's limits and being safe. I think the requirement should be to take the evaluation in one session and strive to keep pressing forward as your body allows. I would also encourage participants to record their total time along with their score, simply as a reference.  

These are my thoughts on it anyway. I don't really own this thing. It would be more effective if it was a popular test that was viewed as accurate my other hunters.

* One last note. This is not intended to be an adequate explanation of the events or the scoring. This is just a discussion. If you are anxious to try the evaluation, please be patient. I'll try to have it well spelled out and demonstrated on video soon.

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 pm

I will never spend all my free time lifting weights but I will walk on the treadmill, and it does help me with cardio. I don't go to the maximum burn but I enjoy it and do lose weight. This test sounds like a good idea. Give it a try. Just remember us old geezers over 50.

Sheridan5

Re: Fitness Assessment for Hunters

Postby Sheridan5 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am

Hy! as been my participation, I've been looking for the perfect non-gym fitness schedule myself. I like swimming for breasts work,also running for cardio exercise,I always try to enhance that, but nearly impossible to find a fun exercise... yoga exercises would likely be best!What you think about that its amazing or not?

weight loss Anaheim Hills

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness