arrow rests ????

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bckklr

arrow rests ????

Postby bckklr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:17 am

just got a new DXT thinkin about putting a drop away rest on it any objections ? also what about the new weight forward arrows anybody own some ? whats the hype ?  
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

mhouck06

RE: arrow rests ????

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:03 am

i just bought a new hoyt katera and put a drop away on it.. they are supposed to increase speed and accuracy. havent noticed much on the accuracy, but ive only shot it for about 2 weeks and the speed went up 2fps from when i first bought it. i love any way to increase the speed. i dont know much about the arrows tho

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 am

I can't speak for the drop away rest, I'm still using a wisker biscuit. The front of center arrows help the arrow recover faster in flight, of coarse dynamic arrow spine has alot to do with it . Most carbon express arrows are FOC. I shoot the CX maxima hunters. If you shoot a light grain arrow changing from a 100 grain to 125 grain tip may give you the same out come. On the other hand a stiff static spine arrow may not change much or worse it may cause the arrow to plane off. Then you can play with fletchings.

Here's a link about front of center

http://www.socalarchery.com/Information/front%20of%20center.htm

Congades on the new bow

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Drop away is an excellent choice, I would recommend the Limbsaver or Trophy Ridge Drop aways.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Trophy Taker......

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:48 am

i like the muzzy zero effect myself. i like the way the arrow is captured and cannot come off the rst.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:02 pm

I went to a drop away last year and I love it.  I never shot the biscuit, but drop aways are a ton better than the prong rests I'd been using.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 am

I am the owner of a small archery shop that I run part time, an archer myself for many years and also a deer hunter. 
Although good quailty dropaways can improve accuracy(usually it's a matter of bow tuning) and do improve speed, for the purpose of hunting, given that all shot angles are not perfect (i.e. your bow could be canted to the side or have an extreme downward angle) and that an arrow can be bumped or jarred off of most drop aways I would reccomend the use of the wisker biscuit.  There are drop aways on the market that now have containment but still allow for alot of arrow movment in the rest and the containment bar may interfere with fletchings and its almost a guarentee if your shooting blazer vanes.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:29 am

As far as weight forward goes the more the better, however use caution with the whole weight issue or you will start to scrafice speed.  It is my experaince that reguardless of the brand of arrow, if your total arrow weight (without a broad head) is 300 grains or less, a 100 grain head will still give you the forward weight that you need for a good recovery off the bow, if it does not bow tuning is an issue. 

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:06 pm

Old bow was a mathews vx-pro with biscuit and gold tip arrows (xt)... never had a problem with any of it, but it was old and LOUD. My new set up is a Diamond Marquis with a Hostage pro rest and Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows with Blazer vanes (weight forward arrows)... I don't know about the whole weight forward thing, but these things fly STRAIGHT! They are every bit as accurate as Gold Tip XT with helical feathers. The Hostage pro rest is awesome!. This thing has no fletching contact and is absolutely silent. Don't get the standard Hostage, though... it has to be the PRO... the standard isn't wide enough to clear Blazer vanes.

I've heard the QAD drop away is nice and the new G5 is good, but I don't have any experience with drop aways... they just scare me.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting