RACK REPORT

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
Mr. Dynamite

RACK REPORT

Postby Mr. Dynamite » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:52 pm

RACK REPORT for the weekend  - Southwestern Ontario

FRI:
saw a buck Fri night in a field, still had both his antlers

SAT:
There was an article in the local paper about 2 weeks ago about some deer that live in a cemetery in town. Had to go check it out. Also conveniently worked as my weekly check-up on shedding progress. One small 8pt and a bunch of does. One deer that looked like it was a small shed buck.

As we got ready to leave these ladies came out with a sweet Canon 400 zoom and a bag of cut up apples and lettuce. As soon as she shook the bag they came running right up to her and stood 10 feet away as they tossed them apples and took pictures. She got some really nice shots of the buck.

Jslotter

RE: RACK REPORT

Postby Jslotter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 pm

very nice pics. I know of cemetery out in the sticks where you can see deer grazing on acorns in the fall in between the head stones. Those deer know where to hide...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 pm

@Mr. Dynamite-although those are some cool pics it seems a dis-service to the deer to be being fed.You said there was an ad in the local paper,and that these ladies shook a bag of apples/lettuce and the deer came a running! Both of these acts are a sure demise to the now habituated deer,they lose most of their ''wild'' characteristics....becoming reliant on handout food and associate people with friendly feeding....an ad in the paper reaches thousands probably at least hundreds....how far of a stretch would it be that some jackwagon comes along in his pickup or van shaking a bag of goodies while his buddy is drawing his bow in the back??? I would have to say the probability is good that those deer will get poached and eventually killed by someone capitalizing on the fact they are no longer wild....it happens all the time/im not blaming you at all-but if you agree with what i say -a friendly wake up call to those mis-informed ladies could have maybe opened their eyes-it's not a zoo-a wild animal deserves to serve it's life COMPLETELY WILD...what they are doing isnt helping the deer in any way-it's only destroying their fear of man-[;)]

Mr. Dynamite

Postby Mr. Dynamite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 am

Jonny buck  -  I agree with you, for them to feed them is a disservice. The cemetery is already battling with flower wreaths being stripped of flowers, bushes and trees being stripped of bark and leaves, and deer being everywhere. They have already been spending thousands to repel the deer, but it is like a 100 acre high fence pasture surrounded by houses and city - the deer can and do jump out, but then come right back in. They suspect that these deer migrated here from another park which had too many deer - carrying capacity was 2 or 3, it had 56. Those deer terrorized flowerbeds and shrubs for blocks around that park. Suddenly they seem to have left, and now this cemetery, just down river in the city, has as many as 36 deer they say. These deer have been born and raised in the city, becoming completely reliant on handouts. The houses backing on to the cemetery put out corn and hay for them. The people coming in feed them. Some people complain about their being there, but this is Canada. They would personally sacrifice themselves before they would see one deer culled. And if one got poached - you can bet their pink poodle they would be in an uproar! (I personally dont think any poacher would risk it here in the middle of the city with a one exit/entrance cemetery surrounded by busy roads and houses, and crawling with people)    So I agree with what you are saying it is not good to feed deer, and our DNR constantly tells people that, but people do. It seems like the only way numbers of urban deer, protected from a cull, will ever be able to collapse and return to normal again - or at least move on once they have picked an area clean.

Return to Deer Browse