Spring Plot Advise

G8RH8R

Spring Plot Advise

Postby G8RH8R » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 pm

I am hunting in Geneva and Elba, Alabama. I am seeking advise on getting some food plots going that will not only provide the deer with the nutrition needed but the attractant properties as well. Most of the property in both areas are pine with some mixture of oaks and good underbrush. Some swampy areas exist on one of the properties and a river borders the other property. What is the norm for a spring plot? I will have soil tested and all the good stuff. Do I restrict seed to just open food plots or will I have success seeding in the swampy bottoms? I also understand that deer are deer and they will do what they want. I want to keep deer interested in the areas we hunt so any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Coffee County, Alabama

We interrupt this marriage for hunting season!!!

furtracker

RE: Spring Plot Advise

Postby furtracker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:05 pm

I would recommend doing your own research and experiment with different seeds or seed blends. The reason for that is you'll get a lot of mixed opinions on what to plant. Do you have any open areas on your property? I think your best bet would be open areas for your plots but I have heard of some successful plots back in the woods. Usually the throw and grow or no-till seed blends will grow well in shaded areas. I have also read that certain types of clover do well in the shade.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 pm

I use throw and grow during the first planting, gets the soil ready establishes a good root system for good crops. My advice spray for weeds like no tomorrow as soon as weeds are out your in business. Takes time but works wonders.

furtracker

Postby furtracker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:00 pm

My Uncle use to plant winter rye on his property (North AL.) and it was hard to beat. I don't know about its nutritional value but as far as attraction it definitely done the job. The deer were on it fall and winter and in Spring the turkey's were on it daily. I think I am gonna try a clover blend and some brown-top millet this year. The biggest problem I have had (other than weeds taking over) is keeping the turkey off the seeds after planting.

Return to Alabama