Shed antler in velvet

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
charlie 01

Shed antler in velvet

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:01 pm

This is a first for me, and the fact that I have never heard of such a think makes this really odd. It is a shed antler from a spike deer that is still in velvet. I found it Feb. 16, in a bed with snow covered ground. I'd say if it wasn't for the snow, I would have never found it. It was a fresh drop with blood on the base. One would have to wonder how or why such a thing would happen. When I first saw it I wondered, what the heck is that.

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bmstaaf

RE: Shed antler in velvet

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:51 pm

That's crazy I was out putting miles on my feet today, found a 9 point dead, I will post pics in a few days when the smell leaves. I cut the horns off but still stinks. Prob a 3.5 125-130 assuming a rifle kill never found, well the yotes recently got it after the thaw

Cal

Postby Cal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Charlie that is a very unique find. Not sure what would lead to that. The only thing I can even think of is a hamaphrodite(spelling?) or deer that is male/female. I've read of does that will grow antlers and stay in velvet, but I realy don't know much about it and have never seen one. In any case you are the Master Shed Hunter!

I must have walked through fifty beds again today and I'm still batting .000 Thank god trout fishing opens here soon.

piebal

Postby piebal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Charlie
just thought you would like to know that i also found a shed antler in velvet last year...crazy huh..did some research on velvet sheds mabey the owner of that shed was a doe..and it is a very good posibilty that it was most antlerd doe wont lose there velvet i will try to locate the reserch and post it.i loaded the antler i found last year in velvet

piebal

Postby piebal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:34 pm

cal,
saw two mature 8 point bucks at about 15 yards today both had there head gear...2/20/2011 ...214pm

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:36 pm

That is interesting looking. How it gets thicker toward the base like that. It could be a hermaphrodite deer. I dunno.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Could be a buck that lost the boys, or a what you guys said the old he/she hermy

Return to Shed Hunting