I'm shopping for a used bow & need advice.

3 to 1

I'm shopping for a used bow & need advice.

Postby 3 to 1 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi gang,

I'm shopping for a used compound bow for my wife. What kind of compound bows do you recommend. I have an old pearson from the early 90's, the old small wheel style. She has tried my old bow a couple of times at 45# so she can do it, but its only at about 50 - 60% let-off. I haven't shot any of the recent bows, so I'm out of touch. What do you guys (& gals) suggest? I've looked on ebay, but it seems like some of those people get caught up in the bidding game and drive the price up to the point where its not that much of a deal. Where else should I be shopping? Thanks.

Jldombach

RE: I'm shopping for a used bow & need advice.

Postby Jldombach » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm

i don't know what you are looking to spend but the Bear Truth is great value for its money, in my mind its a top end bow for a mid-range price.

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue May 11, 2010 4:07 am

I bought my last 2 bows on Ebay and havent had a problem.  Once I had a budget in mind, I researched 2 or 3 of the bows I wanted (the ONE you choose, may not be on Ebay).  I came up with a price they should be valued at based on their condition and went to bidding.  I wanted mine stripped so I could accessorize it to my liking...as many used bows come all set up "as is" on Ebay.  I saved a significant amount of money as opposed to buying a similar model bow from a pro shop.  I purchased and put on all my accessories seperately and changed the string.  I still shoot my Hoyt that is 15 years old...its good as new. 
One good thing about doing this in the spring is that you have time to research and purchase the bow and won't feel pressured into getting something in haste because bow season isnt right around the corner.
If you dont know how to measure someone for a bow...also, if she hasnt really ever shot a bow, its important to know what draw weight and style bow is comfortable for her...as you know, this is important.  Is it something she wants to persue for years or something she just wants to "try" to see if she likes?  A less expensive set-up may be the way to go then.  It may be best to go to a pro shop and have it done...you may even find a good deal there...but IMO, Ebay is cheaper, if you know what your getting.  Many people like to see what they are buying when it comes to a bow, but Ebay is pretty reliable and I found both my sellers to be knowledgable and honest.  You can email the seller questions and you are protected by paypal.
Good luck

My apologies...I assumed this would be for hunting, but it may just be for recreational shooting...either way, nothing should be different.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it going. By the way, she wants a hunting bow and my buget is 200-300$$. Thanks.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the in-put everybody. My wife finale got a Hoyt "Vixxen" , she likes it alot. I tested a few different bows and decided on a Mathews "z7" its grrrreatttt. My wife LOVES it too. She says I got a new bow and She got two new bows.[&:][&:][&:] How the heck did that happen???? By the way, Hoyts "maxxis 31" was my second choice.

Return to Ohio