poaching

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
kendude62

poaching

Postby kendude62 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 pm

If your looking for shed's be aware that you need to report it, otherwise if a dnr catche's you and u didn't register it............you will pay in court. It needs a tag

Ohio farms

RE: poaching

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Kendude62. I know that rule does not apply in Ohio, but I'm curious what state you live in. Ohio does require a tag for antlers that are not sheds, but sheds are all yours as long as you are not trespassing.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Yea I cut off horns on a 9 point that I found dead, pretty sure my only proof of the find is the picture I have on my phone of its skeleton. I would def get in trouble? Anyone from pa know regs, pretty sure it might be a stupid law?, but prevents poaching. I know you can't legally take them off the roads. Who knows.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm sure that Ohio requires a permit for any antlers that are not sheds, even if it is from a roadside kill. I few years ago I bought an eight point mount at a garage sale for $10 to put up at my hunting camp. For ten bucks I thought it would go with the decor. I got paranoid about having it so I tossed it. I agree that the law has to do with poaching, so I figured I should not have in camp. Rules are rules...

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:44 pm

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

I'm sure that Ohio requires a permit for any antlers that are not sheds, even if it is from a roadside kill. I few years ago I bought an eight point mount at a garage sale for $10 to put up at my hunting camp. For ten bucks I thought it would go with the decor. I got paranoid about having it so I tossed it. I agree that the law has to do with poaching, so I figured I should not have in camp. Rules are rules...

I am not familiar with Ohio rules, but I wouldn't think that you would get into any trouble if you bought a mount off someone else as long as they did everything legally when they harvested it.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm

I was told you must be able to prove the kill was legal for pa. Because I found a dead deer cut the horns off they want me to pay money to make it legal? That is horrible. Even when I got my deer butchered (i do them now) I don't recall getting a tag back on numerous occasions, I did fill out a harvest report though. For sheds in pa, you don't need paper work they would evaluate the base of the antler and determine if it a legit shed, only if questioned. I have been to tons of hunting camps with antlers on the wall without tags, mine included the deer shot over the last 50 years that could not be proven. I don't know that's silly, but I can see the poaching aspect. October 2010 had an article about poached deer, I wonder if it relates back to not being able to prove your kill? It said it took place at taxidermys in Missouri. Now one would have to believe these animals were not all poached (probably some were) it was like 62% of 400 animals?

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:01 pm

In Wisconsin you can pick up sheds all you want, no tag or proof of any kind needed. Cleaned, antlered skulls are the same deal. As long as you find it after the meat and hide have been already cleaned off naturally, you can just pick it up. If you find a skull with meat and hide on it, you can either leave it and wait for the critters to clean it up, then come back for it, or you can contact the DNR and they can help you out as far as getting a tag or permit for it. Good heads up for any state that requires a tag for sheds. Would stink to get busted for something you did wrong when you didn't mean to.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:32 pm

The garage sale mount did not have a metal tag on it when I bought it. If the tag was on it there would be not problem. (In Ohio, anyway)
Vipermann, that's exactly why I got rid of the antlers. I didn't want to get fined for something I had done innocently.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Ohio Farms,
I moved to Ohio in 1996. At the time I moved there, I had boxes of antlers from deer that I had killed in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Tennessee. Are you telling me that for the five years that I lived there, I was a poacher in the eyes of the state of Ohio? Wisconsin doesn't require tags on deer antlers nor does Tennessee.What should I have done with all my antlers then, thrown them away when I crossed the state line? This from the same state that asked me where my title was for an outboard motor that I'd bought in 1978 in Wisconsin (Wisc doesn't title outboard motors ). It took me quite awhile to get my boat registration,too. I'm kinda glad that I don't live there anymore. Now I have boxes of untagged antlers in Indiana and it's legal.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 am

In my eyes you are certainly not a poacher Wanderer, but Ohio's says you must have them tagged. I have never heard of the DOW going after anyone on that issue unless they have been found breaking other game laws. Then they tack that one on. I think if I had a box of legally gotten antlers I would just keep them. The ones that I got rid of cost me $10 and had no real meaning to me.
I feel you pain with the motor registration issues. Paperwork, paperwork...

Return to Breaking News