What Can We Do?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
bmstaaf

RE: What Can We Do?

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Talking to a c/o he said that only appox. 2% of poaching acts are caught leaving 98% free criminals. The people have to do something, you guys hit it on the nose put surveillance on your land and do your own sting operations. It's sad to sat validity will always be questioned by the law, so it would have to be a joint effort with the support of our correctional officers. The problem I foresee is the pain in the butt c/o that feels the people are stepping on his toes, in reality we are trying to help and keep us as real hunters safe. I promise you it will be questioned, I know 1st hand

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 am

This past bow season in Ohio, I went out to bow hunt right before the season ended. I pulled up to my parking spot at the farm i hunt at. To my surprise and disgust, I found four dead deer right next to my parking spot. Two does and two bb's all dressed out laying perfectly side by side with the deer tags ripped off their ears. I was heart broke and boiling mad!! who did this? Most likely the same people i caught treespassing a while back. I called the c/o and he told me he was on top of the situation and took pictures (like i did) and we are trying to catch em'. I am going to help out as much as possible to catch these punks! I firmly believe if you get caught poaching...... ( first offense) you lose your hunting privileges for life and jail time, take all your hunting gear, and never get your gear back. Will it be hard to catch them?? you know it. But i will not give up and help out the game warden any way i can. I may not agree with all the game laws some are stupid. But i truly believe we all need to help out when ever possible and catch these people. Because the law abiding hunters are getting cheated in the end. Enough is enough.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:28 am

Good job!!! What these "Maroon's" did was just senseless killing. We all need to help the C.P.O.'s when ever possible. They have a thankless job. The punishment needs to be very harsh. We need to figure out how to make the laws tougher, I do not know anything about changing laws so... How do we do this? Poacher's are the SCUM of the hunting community,and we should treat them just like the prisoners treat child molesters. I too believe they should lose their priveledges, weapons, vehichles (even their first-born), even post an ad in the local paper and our web-site under our "State". There should be "Fair Warning" on the back of the rule book or even a page on the inside explaining this. If caught a second time, I believe spending a few week-ends with PETA would help. LOL. But honestlly, a second violation should result in something like six months of week-end duty at the local jail, unless the BUM'S aren't working, then give them 30 day's consecutive.
 I am going to start a "Robo-Deer" and infra-red camera fund at my archery shop. I have high hopes that we can purchase a "Robo-Deer" and/or at least a few cameras. I know that I will start the fund with enough to at least get the ball rolling,enough for 1 camera!
 Freak, welcome to the forum! I would like to say"Welcome to the Brot..., sorry I just can't finish the sentence. Just don't care for Michael Warble any more. LOL. But Welcome and Good luck catching the vermin! 

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks Bob! this turkey season i am going to call the game warden and show him where these guys hunt and see what happens. I think it is these same guys who stole my home made deer feeders a while back. Any way I hope that these punks get caught and........ I hope i am there when it happens so they know i am not playing around and neither is anybody else that hunts the lives and hunts around the area. We shall see.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Dear Freak, if you have a Deer cam set it up high so the Poachers can't see it. I doubt that they are smart enough to look up, or hide it where you can get a picture of their car. The word Poacher comes from the "Latin" word "Potchure" meaning Dumb-Ass.
 If you do not have a camera, they are very inexpensive now days.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 pm

That's what we do Bob it has helped on numerous occasions. I can't believe how much trail cam prices are going down its jaw dropping.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks fellas for the info. I will try trail cameras and see what happens. By the way love the latin word for " poachers".HA good one! c-ya.

Mac

Postby Mac » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:01 am

Great topic!!! Sorry I missed this one.

In Texas you're pretty much killed on the spot when caught!
They take all your guns, your vehicle, fine you and imprison you!!!

Needless to say, I don't hear of to many people that poach around here...

I agree that when this does take place, they should be able to sell and use the money towards their efforts.
Bad thing is, they'd probably buy all the good stuff and be broke CPOs. Lol
Quote: "Real men hunt with fly swatters!" - me... lol

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:18 pm

@Bob-they just got one of the biggest repeat offenders in Illinois -several felonies and game violations---all on the 1-800 tip line-the game warden stated without the publics help they wouldn't have got this guy....just proving we all can help in little ways..that may turn into bigger help....i believe he had several deer in his driveway in late feb-wow!

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm

[font=arial]Jonny, I am taking donations to purchase a "robodeer" to donate to the Illinois DNR Conservation Police Officers. If you or anyone else would like to help, send donations big or small to "The Archery Shop",  #7 Industrial Drive,  Pittsfield, Illinois 62363. On the check write "Robodeer" and on the envelope write attn. Bob Olsen. Everyone who donates will be mentioned on a Thank you card to the DNR for doing such a good job to protect our hunting future. There job is thankless as you might have noticed by some of the responses I've recieved[/font]

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News