2010 sheds

3 to 1

2010 sheds

Postby 3 to 1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:42 pm

I took the wife out shed hunting today(Sat. 3/20/10). I found an old 4pntr. with chew marks from the critters. She found a 5pntr. She was soooo cute, "I found one, I found one, I found one." Man, I love that woman!!!!! I'll post pics soon.

bmstaaf

RE: 2010 sheds

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 am

Hopefully this. weekend ill be able to get out

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:55 am

Aww..I have yet to find one yet..But way to pick up 2 in 1 day!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Its not a shed, but still a great find when your in the woods. I saw this "Pie-bald" deer while driving past some estate properties in Lake county (NE Ohio). It looks like it may be a young buck from the back leg stains, but its not very big and no head gear at this time of the year. I don't have permission to hunt the property(yet), but its still nice to see as I drive to my hunting farm.

epd68

Postby epd68 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 am

i have not located any sheds this year as yet and was startled to see several bucks in cuyahoga ,lake ,and geauga counties that have NOT shed antlers yet as of 04-20-10 heck in the next 8 weeks the deer are supposed to start growing new bone again    did anyone else notice this?

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Its SHED season 2011 . I went out Sunday (2/20) and found one nice 5pntr. I'm almost positive its from the same buck that my wife found a shed from last year. Heres a pic of the two sheds side by side. The smaller shed is from last year.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:54 am

Nice find. We have too much snow here to start looking. Although much of it melted last week, I woke up to about 15 inches of fresh stuff this morning. I'll be blowing it out of the driveway shortly -- hope my tractor can handle it.

I'd agree that there's a strong chance those sheds are from the same buck.
[ul][*]Both have a nice, tight curve, and the tines are spaced the same on both.
[*]The one on the right has an increase in mass that's about what I would expect.
[*]All the tines look similar, but bigger. I'm assuming the G3 on the left antler is broken or chewed.
[/ul]If the antler on the right represents a 3½ year old, you should have a dandy buck to hunt this year -- and if you get him, a nice track record of his rack.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Saw two bucks today that still had their antlers. A third deer looked like a buck without antlers. Snow storms are predicted for the next few days. Will take a walk in the woods when all of that clears to see if I can find something.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm

ORIGINAL: 3 to 1

Its not a shed, but still a great find when your in the woods. I saw this "Pie-bald" deer while driving past some estate properties in Lake county (NE Ohio). It looks like it may be a young buck from the back leg stains, but its not very big and no head gear at this time of the year. I don't have permission to hunt the property(yet), but its still nice to see as I drive to my hunting farm.

Nice picture. I've never seen a Piebald, except in pictures. I think they are some beautiful deer.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I saw the articles about dogs finding sheds and how you can send your dog or buy a dog trained for shed hunting. Ya I got to thinking, "I wonder if I can train my dog to do that ?" Not a bad idea if you have a lab, shepard, pointer, or other type of dog with a good nose and known for sniffing things out (i.e. drugs, phesant, bombs, rabbits, or what ever). But I'm working with a 2yr old PUGGLE. Yes, a puggle (Beagle/Pug mix) . I was hopeing there was a little more beagle than pug. Last week I started. I set the dog in one room, told her to stay, then walked through the doorway and set a shed down in the open area of the next room. I told her "Find the sheds." She went right to it. We did that for 30 min. End of session #1.

A couple of days later we did the same thing a few times. Then we expanded our search to a couple of rooms to choose from. After 25 min. she started sniffing a big circle in the room and if she didn't smell anything she went to the next room. If she smelled the shed, she stayed in the room until she found it. When I started with a new phase of training I used my most recent shed (Found last week of Feb.). Then I started using older sheds as she progressed in the training lessson. After two days of a couple of rooms at the same time. she started searching the whole house level. I have a basement, but I chose not to go that far and kept the game on one level of the house. That was quick for one week of training. I can't wait to try her out in the back yard.

TODAY: The yard was wet, but the weather was nice so I tried her out today. I hide them behind trees and thick foliage ground Ivy. She got it right away. She loved it. She wanted the sheds more than the treats. That was only one time in the yard, but its a good start. I'll try a the rest of the week before I even attempt to take her in the field. By the way, she stayed in the closed garage while I hide the sheds; so she doesn't see where I put the sheds in the yard. I still have to figure out how to get her to keep searching while I have a found shed in hand. Maybe put it in a Backpak??? I'll let you all know how the rest of the training goes. [:D][:D][:D]

Next

Return to Ohio