Hanging ladder stands

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
ARROWSMITH

Hanging ladder stands

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 pm

What is the safest way to hang a ladder stand? I own one and it just doesn't seem that there is a safe way to secure it to the tree unless I take another ladder to the woods with me.

Highlander Archery

RE: Hanging ladder stands

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:42 pm

A good answer really depends on the specifics of the design. I had a Gorrila that had ratchet straps that crossed around the tree from the seat frame to the ladder about 5 ft from the ground that would be fastened  and tightened first, then you climb up and fasten the remainder of the seat straps.

If you don't have these kind of straps, once you get the ladder up use your harness to to tie off to the tree and climb the ladder. Remain attached to the tree at all times and strap the stand to the tree being extra careful not to shift weight left or right.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:43 pm

what i do is put the stand together with another person, hang the stand and then climb up while the other holds it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

what i do is put the stand together with another person, hang the stand and then climb up while the other holds it.
thats the best way.i you are by yourself you can tie a long rope to thetop rungs of the ladder then lean it up against the tree .use the rope to anchor the ladder by tying off to something else on an angle
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:33 am

I put mine together.... then if it came with 2 long straps I tie them to either side of the seat ...if not I have cut 2 15 foot pieces of rope and do that....then I get under the ladder and walk it up to the tree...Once it's leaning against the tree I swing the straps around tree in back in a X...then bring them around front pull tight and tye off to ladder in front....oohh put stablizer bar on first.....then I slowly climb and ratchet stand to tree...I leave straps inplace all season...up put mine up by my self and am afraid of hieghts so this works well for me.....good luck

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:50 am

Lot`s of good advice here........

My buddy and I always work together to hang ours. We`ve learned to assemble everything except the ladder sections in the garage, then carry it into the woods like that. Once at the site we want to stand to go, we assemble the ladder sections, attach them to the platform, and using rope, we walk/pull the stand up into place. One holds the rope to keep the stand secure, while the other climbs the ladder to the platform and attaches the first ratchet strap. After that, it`s safe to attach all the other ratchet straps.

We leave our`s up year `round too. Periodically, we inspect the straps for wear-in fact, this season, we`re planning on just replacing all straps on each stand.

Good luck.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Only used 1 ladder stand... an API... and my brother and I put it up just like Ms Badger does... with the two straps. We walk it up the tree.. my bro wraps the straps around the tree and holds it while I climb up and secure the ratchet when I reach the seat. I still like it the best... I can sit in that stand aaaalllllllll day long, literally.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am

This is all good stuff:

1) use and x-strap to secure the ladder temporarily until you can put on the strap at the top
2) use more than one person to hang the stand-- if for no other reason than to stand on the bottom ends to keep them from coming out

. . . and I think these things are all covered in the safety video that the TMA has on their website.

The one thing that I will add is that I take a long ratchet strap and run it from the top rung to the bottom and weave it between a few rungs on the way.  This keeps the sections held together, until everything is good and secure, and then I remove it last thing before I leave.

There is nothing worse than trying to get a partially-hung stand into position and giving it a little english and a section of the ladder comes apart.  This happens as well as you stand on the ladder  and the ends sink down into the dirt.

One other thing:  I deliberately sink the ends of the stand down into the dirt, and I set a big rock under the first rung, so that there is only so far the ends will go. Over time, the ends will sink lower, while the top is attached to one spot on the tree-- this is a ready reason for separation, and all you need is one good wind between when you set the stand and your first hunting trip to make it happen.  Trust me: always visually inspect the entire length of the ladder  before trying to ascend.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

This is all good stuff:

1) use and x-strap to secure the ladder temporarily until you can put on the strap at the top
2) use more than one person to hang the stand-- if for no other reason than to stand on the bottom ends to keep them from coming out

. . . and I think these things are all covered in the safety video that the TMA has on their website.

The one thing that I will add is that I take a long ratchet strap and run it from the top rung to the bottom and weave it between a few rungs on the way.  This keeps the sections held together, until everything is good and secure, and then I remove it last thing before I leave.

There is nothing worse than trying to get a partially-hung stand into position and giving it a little english and a section of the ladder comes apart.  This happens as well as you stand on the ladder  and the ends sink down into the dirt.

One other thing:  I deliberately sink the ends of the stand down into the dirt, and I set a big rock under the first rung, so that there is only so far the ends will go. Over time, the ends will sink lower, while the top is attached to one spot on the tree-- this is a ready reason for separation, and all you need is one good wind between when you set the stand and your first hunting trip to make it happen.  Trust me: always visually inspect the entire length of the ladder  before trying to ascend.

Great insight into the thing seperating. I took a nasty fall due to exactly that.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:21 pm

my stand sections have cotter pin connections...if you buy one that doesn't.... a drill and a few $ for cotter pins and a little time can save a lot of literal ...ace ache...(wink)

Return to Tree Stands