Where to look ?

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
jonny5buck

Where to look ?

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Im gonna go shed hunting this spring hard,but i really have no idea where to look.Rather than aimlessly walk the woods any input would be appreciated.I live in Illinois and most of the areas i hunt are mature oaks,very very hilly terrain,some marsh with cattails and a couple of 40 -100 acre corn/bean fields.The marsh area is contained around the sides with bedding areas and the fields.The mature oak woods has the majority of rubs and scrapes.Are you guys following the old rub lines? looking in the bedding areas or what? Thanks a head of time.-JON

gunther89

RE: Where to look ?

Postby gunther89 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

If you know where they are feeding this time of the year, that would be the first place to look.  Also look where they are bedding.  Field edges are good too and fence crossing.  Basically anywhere in between food and bedding you could find them.  I've always said you have to have some luck to find sheds.  Good luck!
Scott

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I focus on bedding areas, fencelines and any feeding areas....much like gunther89 stated. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

cocowheats

Postby cocowheats » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 pm

i usually just look on the ground. sometimes in the trees if a big squirrel decides to carry one up there

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm

I find a few each year and its certain places that hold the most potential:

- Field (meadow/pasture) edges.
- Feeding areas (inside corn or bean fields and outside edges) or Oak trees.
- Follow deer trails.
- Look for bedding areas.
- Fence jumping areas.
- CREEK jumping areas.
- One last place is fallen tree tops on the ground ( deer hide in there during late winter for protection from weather and hunters).

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:46 pm

I really appreciate all the input guys...i am convinced that either i suck really really bad at finding them or they simpy don't drop them where we hunt.Although the marsh has deer in it late season[JAN in Il] when they really herd up they do go to a parcel by a small lake and a large cottonwood forest... the problem is that is someone elses property..i don't trespass wether im looking for sheds or mushroom hunting.

A small farmhouse has them literally standing in the front yard pawing up something...could just be where the sun hits the grass?..anyway we really worked the heck out of about 60 acres of marsh,field edge,standing corn,thickets and primary bedding-im at a loss....i might try earlier next year..right after season rather than wait til feb-Thanks though- JON

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 pm

I have great success in low pines, and small water channels draining off hills, we get a lot of snow where I am at so I look in areas where logically the snow wouldn't be quite as high where the deer can travel. If you make it out early enough you will find the winter browse that's always a hot spot.

cocowheats

Postby cocowheats » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:24 pm

good start. now the snow needs to melt.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 pm

ORIGINAL: jonny5buck

I really appreciate all the input guys...i am convinced that either i suck really really bad at finding them or they simpy don't drop them where we hunt.

Don't let it bother you. I only find about 1 shed per year and spend A LOT of time searching. Not sure why I don't have better luck. I know where to look...and there are deer in the area.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Hats off to you guys who found sheds this year. I went out today, followed some good trails, covered some ground, and nothing. Snow is still very deep in my area. Anyone else sick of the snow?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Shed Hunting