food plots for Turkey

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
easports

food plots for Turkey

Postby easports » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm

I’m getting ready to till two plots in the woods this weekend. I’ve never planted anything specifically for turkey but want to do so this year. Any suggestions on what to plant thats not too expensive and works in a wooded environment with average sun light?

msbadger

RE: food plots for Turkey

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Hey easport...getting close to that time...I've been buying up 2 bags of lime a week from T/C farms the last month...easier on the budget that way[;)]
...We are blessed with a ridiculous hatch of grass hoppers every year so hard to say but the turkey do seem to like the Succraseed high sugar rye and clover mix...and any of the other clover mixes I have....of course buck wheat when it goes to seed ...that will help keep them in the area for fall season...they with have winter rye as well this spring....Happy Planting

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Sunflowers are probably one of the cheapest....i think they are underrated as an overall food source....Clovers like Ms-Badger stated....i have seen sorghum draw them in pretty dang strong also...cheap tooo i believe...im not sure how either would do in partial sun ...i know they flourish in direct sun.[;)]

easports

Postby easports » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:46 am

As always I appreciate your feedback. I finally pulled the trigger and purchased an ATV which will help me in working the mountain property with the stones. This maybe the year I set up one of the plots with the Succraseed if I can get that soil in better condition. It's going to be a lot of work (as it always is) but I see the property improving year by year. Take care.

easports

Postby easports » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 am

Jonny

Thanks for the response. I've never planted sunflowers but I'll follow up with our local Southern States regarding that. Also you mentioned clover..... I heard once you plant clover, it’s hard to remove due to the root system. Do you know if that's true?

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:06 am

-not sure about that aspect...all i know is once established we usually get at least 4 to 5 good years of it coming back since it is a perenial....sometimes one mowing is suffecient but i have always mowed it 2 times a year...it's about as low maintenance as they come...

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm

I also wanted to mention that the sorghum field that i pass on the way to one of my hunting spots had more turkey in it than anywhere i have ever seen....they were bedding in between the rows....the heads are full of seeds that not only benefit turkey but may draw in grouse and quail...besides a beautiful array of songbirds...the farmer that planted it said it was cheap ..cost wise..but he was planting with a tractor and drill..im not sure of the depth or soil requirements...all i know is it was ahuge food source...they loved it......im almost positive that is an annual like sunflowers....so something to keep in mind ...needs to be re-planted every year....with clover you can disc,drag and hand seed spread...and not have to plant every year...any way good luck!

easports

Postby easports » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 am

ms

Where are you buying the Succraseed seed? I called a dealer here in VA and they wanted $65.00 for a 15 lb bag which only covers ½ acre. Dang....that's expensive! For that kind of money, the seed needs to grow up and make me breakfast every morning…..you know?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 pm

I buy from Welter Seed & Honey Co.
www.WelterSeed.com

I bought 2  25# bags of the beef Bank for 57.75 each...I still have over a bag left....to plant this year and did 2 trail plots and part of 2 other plot areas last year..that have been annuals....in order to have some spring green up in these spots....Also to check and see how well it wintered over...today I got my first glance and it's looking good...pg 5 of the catalog...any how I wanted some thing I could also tweak to my needs...you'll see when you get to the sight ...they work with you to get best shipping costs

Well that link didn't work.... but just type that into your search engine and it will come right up...good Luck

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I've had good luck with wheat and foraging oats...its cheap to plant and with the green coming up the Deer will also benefit from it.In the past few years I actually planted the winter wheat and foraging oats in Aug or Sept with my other plants (brassicas,rape & turnips) and after all those have been eaten the wheat and oats came up that Fall/Winter and in early Spring and I didn't have to break ground again!You can still plant it in early spring or maybe even frost-seed the wheat and oats in an older exisiting food plot that was plowed and disc-ed last year in 2010?

I have seen Turkey walk thru the tall grass and then into my Plot of Wheat/Foraging Oats and bed down and feed on the heads,they would peck at the tops and lay there and eat til they got their fill then they would walk thru the CRP fields eating grasshoppers and other bugs!

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management