Split doe seasons

danesdad

Split doe seasons

Postby danesdad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 pm

How you you feel about the split antlerless seasons (antlerless season starting on the first saturday of rifle, rather than running concurrent with buck season)? Why or why not?
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

ishman

RE: Split doe seasons

Postby ishman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:12 pm

I like it. Where i hunt in 2d, we have had it this way for 2 years now. It doesnt sound like world war 3 at daylight now. I hope they keep it this way.
Eric

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I like buck for 2 weeks doe for 3 days. Not a big doe hunter if I want meat I will shoot a doe early archery (dont have a storage freezer right now moved into a new house, so I did not shoot a doe this year-passed on my fair share). I do not like to be in the woods when ww3 is going on, but would love a quite rifle season. The question is what would be better for your area in a way. I hunt north west counties deer populations are decent, but hunting land is hard to come by. once the shooting starts the hunting slows down, a lot of nighttime activity. I use to hunt sun up to sun down in rifle, but its to the point I don't even hunt it much anymore. Honestly I would not be against a longer doe season (if going back to 3 days) but not during buck. (population control would be the goal) Like I mentioned it depends on the zones you hunt. We have big bucks all over the state, with the pa pressure the deer get separate the seasons, let us hunters hunt and eliminate the sport of luck.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Split season would be good, better then now

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

I feel the same as bmstaaf, a split season would be good, better than what is going on right now.  Where I used to hunt in NEPA there isn't a war zone declared on the first day of the rifle season anymore, even though does are open season.  The deer population is WAY down from what it was 10 years ago, the only place you see a decent number of deer anymore are in the housing communities and lake developments.  That's why I hunt farm country now, there are plenty of mature does and bucks to go around for everyone!  I think a shortened doe season would make things even better!  
DaveYak,
Land of the free,
Home of the brave,
Faith in God that'll never waive!
Do It To It Outdoors @ Facebook

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 pm

I don't mind a population decrease, in fact it increases the integrity of the sport. My problem comes in because of the ww3 shooting, first off its not safe and 2nd it kills the season. I think what the pgc has done awesome in regards to saving young bucks, it gives everyone of us a shot at a big buck because believe it or not they are around. By splitting seasons it would decrease the war zone and deer might react as if they were not being slaughtered. when I first started hunting it was not uncommon to see 50 deer in a day, that was then this is now, stop the slaughtering and let us hunt. Deer numbers are down in the state, start trying different things to stabilize the population and keep the herd healthy and the hunters safe. Also I would like to add the pgc has done a phenomenal job at habitat restoration with the safety zones and the farm land that applies. We need to get rid of the 2 week slaughter and A. Separate the doe and buck season B. Split the seasons or C. Both. If they are concerned the doe numbers will get out of hand again do a late season doe only. I mentioned it in an earlier post but they have to focus on what is best for every zone.

MRHunter

Postby MRHunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 am

I like the split season. I have been hunting a WMU that has been split for a couple of years. Like most others have said, it does not sound like a "shooting range". I have been hunting the same area (state forest) for many years.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 am

Wouldn't a seperate season for does discourage hunter participation? I mean, guys only have so much vacation.

cmarberg18

Re: Split doe seasons

Postby cmarberg18 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 am

Hate it. I get a limited # of days off per year and when I walk my gun in the woods I want to harvest a deer. Don't care of it has a bone sticking out of its head or not. Am I a dying breed of hunter that cares about the meat instead of "how big the rack I just shot"? Now not only do I have to get my glasses out to see if it has more than 4 on one side, or is it a point broken off, or is the sun perpendicular to the right of Pisces congruent to the moon on the 4th day of Hanukkah before i can kill a buck, I now have to wait on a doe till the second week when I may or may not have a day off. Thanks PGC, Im sure we can recruit more hunters by doing this ;). Maybe when the license #'s are down next year you can charge me even more for my license to make up for it :D

danesdad

Re: Split doe seasons

Postby danesdad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 pm

cmarberg18 wrote:Hate it. I get a limited # of days off per year and when I walk my gun in the woods I want to harvest a deer. Don't care of it has a bone sticking out of its head or not. Am I a dying breed of hunter that cares about the meat instead of "how big the rack I just shot"? Now not only do I have to get my glasses out to see if it has more than 4 on one side, or is it a point broken off, or is the sun perpendicular to the right of Pisces congruent to the moon on the 4th day of Hanukkah before i can kill a buck, I now have to wait on a doe till the second week when I may or may not have a day off. Thanks PGC, Im sure we can recruit more hunters by doing this ;). Maybe when the license #'s are down next year you can charge me even more for my license to make up for it :D

I'm with you, cuz!

Next

Return to Pennsylvania