500 S&W LEVERevolution

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
ishman

500 S&W LEVERevolution

Postby ishman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:40 am

Has anyone ever shot the 300 gr LEVERevolution cartridges by Hornady out of a 500 S&W. They are extremely expensive and i was wondering if it was worth me spending my money on a box of them. I was hoping to get some feedback because this would be a pricey trial and error. Thanks!

NCdeerguy

RE: 500 S&W LEVERevolution

Postby NCdeerguy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 am

I don't have any input regarding your question, I actually wanted to ask you one...since I've seen some more rifles come on the scene chambered in 500 S&W I've been interested in checking one out. I hunt primarily with a 300 win mag, but one of my small properties is really thick so slugs and buckshot have been more practical; thinking of getting something in a 45-70gvt or 500 S&W. What gun do you currently shoot in 500 S&W and how do you like that round? I've shot 45-70 but not a 500...seen them knocking guys back on youtube and causing handi-rifles actions break open- but I like a big heavy bullet in close situations, plus always a blast to try new stuff, esp. big rounds :)

ishman

Postby ishman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

What i have is a NEF Handi Rifle. I just purchased it and have yet to shoot it. But when i do ill let you know how it performs. I sure hope it doesnt break open when i shoot it!!!!!

NCdeerguy

Postby NCdeerguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah fire that thing and let me know how you like it! I've been looking at getting a handi rifle myself for a couple of years now, so if I decide to get a 500 SW I'll probably go with a handi rifle. A local gun shop had some and I really liked the wooden stock and the fact that it's old-fashioned single shot break action. While in the gun shop I also saw a NEF 10 gauge shotgun, same design as the handi rifles; also saw 3 1/2" 10 gauge shells I daydreamed about shooting in that thing..... along with their classic looks and design, NEF puts some big offerings out there lol.

muddyboots

Postby muddyboots » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 pm

I have a 500 S&W in Encore 26" heavy barrel from MGM and shoots lights out. Groups inside 2" at 100 yds with Hornady 300 gr. FTX with Lil Gun powder. Basically standard load of 42 gr at about 2250 fps thru my chronograph. Killed 8 pt at 65 yds and hit was impressive and so was post mortem of bullet. I can use it in Indiana in shotgun zones and will never go back to slug again as long as I can use this rifle. Recoil is STOUT! I shoot slugs off bench and shoot 33 WM with 200 gr. Accubonds and they don't even come close to recoil. Bear in mind an Encore is not very heavy either so therein lies the problem. I am trying out some Barnes 325 gr. XPB's and will post up results once I can dig out rifle range. We have had a ton of snow here in SW MI so getting to range has been a bit tough.
Muddyboots

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:30 am

.50 S&W is, from what I hear, about as close as you'll find to a 12 GA slug in a brass cartridge as far as performance.  That is not knocking the 50 S&W.  I still say 12 GA slug is about as good as you can get close-in.  However. . .

I would NOT want to take a 2 3/4 Remmie slugger and put it in my H&R Topper and go out deer hunting.  The recoil would be tremendous.   Similarly, I would think twice about buying a light, break-open rifle and stuffing it with .50 S&W.  There are probably other ways to do this.

Indiana is a great place for the .50 S&W.  However, I would go out of my way to have a little more heft in my rifle.   Elsewhere, where you are not limited to straight-walled pistol cartridges, I'd be thinking a 45-70, and then be looking for a mild load at that.  Remember, the deer are not THAT hard to kill. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

muddyboots

Postby muddyboots » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Like I said, recoil is stout but not unmanageable. Funny how recoil disappears when a nice buck is in front of you!! My Encore has laminate stocks which helps a bit in weight and the barrel is 26" heavy so it adds up. Its not a question of deer not being hard to kill as much as I was trying to duplicate slug performance with better accuracy. The 500 does that. I reload slugs cause I was so dis-satisfied with factory accuracy and switched to the 500. Its nice to know that I have 200 yd gun if I need it. Most of time I hunt close in swamps and still want the big slug to make sure they don't go anywhere. Swamps are tough to track so I like to make sure there is big hole to leave blood trail. Then again I am also 6'5" 260 pounds so recoil really doesn't bother me. Sometimes the extra size is a pain when trying to buy clothes but is real nice when shooting boomers. I have eye on .445 Win Mag in 26" barrel that looks promising if I can get it at right price.
Muddy

ishman

Postby ishman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 pm

I ordered a box of the shells for it from midway usa and they should be here tomorow. Hopefully i can get out this weekend and shoot them. The gun now has tru glo rifle sights on it but i was thinking of puting a scope on it. I have a 3x9 simmons laying in the gun cabnit. Im just not sure how well the scope will handle all that recoil?
Eric

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:00 am

ishman,
I have a 500 S & W revolver with the 8-3/8 ported barrel. I shot it iron sights for a year then topped it with a Bushnell Elite 2-6 power scope. I used 4 rings when I first mounted it and it still rattled loose within a short time. Don't spare the LocTite if you scope it. I was shooting 400 grain rounds at that time. I dont know how bad the 300 grain would be for recoil as I've never shot anything under 350 grains. Just for the record, my ammunition choices are based more on what's available locally than on what I'd prefer. I got tired of paying $59.00 for 20 rounds of Hornady at the local sport shop and bought bulk HSM from Cabela's for about $24.00 per 20 rounds in lots of 200. Shortly after that, my youngest son went back to Iraq and ammo usage plummetted to reasonable levels. When he got back from Iraq in 2009, he took the 500 with him to Ft Polk to shoot in handgun league. I haven't seen it since.

ishman

Postby ishman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Wanderer. I may just hold off on putting a scope on and see how well it shoots with just open sights. It may take some practice for me as the only rifle i own without a scope is my flintlock. I going to shoot it this weekend so ill see how it does. It sure is alot cheaper to buy that ammo in bulk. I just dont know what the heck id do with that many rounds. I only got this gun to hunt indiana with, but maybe ill hunt with it here too. Maybe its about time to retire the old 30-06.
Eric

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo