2011 Shed Picks

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
jonny5buck

RE: 2011 Shed Picks

Postby jonny5buck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

@Charlie 01-when did you find those? im thinking i must be getting out too late...i cannot believe for the area i covered i found none,but i guess that's how it goes.

I just went out the other day,and i know a guy also in illinois that says him and his wife go looking every valentines day! Are you finding yours earlier than that?

Some guys make it look so easy....are you finding in the same spot year after year??? Thanks buddy...im gonna keep looking anyway,i did find my headlamp that i lost in october...sucker still works!!!-Thanks for the inspiration-[:D]

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Jonny, I usually find sheds in the same areas when I look year after year. Prob a 400 yard radius. You gotta follow the herds, I start looking now when the snow decreases but isn't gone. When you have bare ground it gets tough and that means the critters are looking for an easy meal. The best way to locate the herd is with a spot light, I live in the land of snow so the deer tend to sit in low areas or by swamps areas that don't have chest high snow in the dead of winter. Once spring hits and you see grass deer are everywhere the locating herd is out. Think logically about your area where are the deer hidden from weather, where is the snow the least deep. That will start you off.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:40 am

The pair were found Jan. 28. The fresh one in the oaks was found Feb.7. Valentines day is a safe bet to look. I would say, a good portion of them have dropped by then. But, as I stated somewhere once before, these deer are as individual as we are. I have, in the past found sheds as soon as right after Christmas in late Dec., and watched a big 10pt one year carry till April 14. I'm fortunate to be able to spend the time looking. I walk miles every day. For me, it's a great way to keep in shape.  
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:52 am

Charlie I second that it is a good way to stay in shape. I have seen bucks with headgear while trout fishing. When I took biology in school I learned scientifically if all environmental conditions are correct animals should lose horns appox. 6-8 weeks prior to starting thueir new nubs. (That theory goes strictly by sunlight during the days) We all know weather, stress, and injury takes a huge tole on it though. I shot a 250 lb field dressed buck without antlers 4 years ago last week of November.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:23 pm

We did pretty good shed hunting this weekend. My bud found a set that scored 186" and had some points broke off.  Jake 

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:40 am

i spent the past three weekends out looking for sheds.. maybe 15-17 hours.. no sheds. but i have found lots of turkey, quite a few deer, 1 fox, 2 carbon arrows, 4 dead deer, 2 were spike bucks, 1 squnk (could of been a bad day), 4 owl pellets, and 1 great trout fishing stream.. all on public land i have never been on before..

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 pm

PROBABLY BEEN OUT 3 OR 4 TIMES FOR A COUPLE HOURS EACH TIME AND HAVNT FOUND ANYTHING YET. BUT I KNOW THE BUCKS IN MY AREA ATLEAST SOME OF THEM INCLUDING 2 OF THE BIGGER ONES STILL HAVE THERE HORNS AS OF MARCH 3RD. MY BROTHER SHINED A FIELD WITH 2 GOOD BUCK IN IT THAT NIGHT.

TALKING TO SOME HUNTERS THAT I WORK WITH THAT ARE A BIT OLDER THAN I AM, THE ONE SAID THAT BUCKS THAT DONT BREED WILL HOLD THERE HORNS LONGER.... IS THERE ANY TRUTH IN THIS?  I KNOW I HAVE HEARD IT BEFORE BUT IN EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE READ I CANT REMEMBER EVER SEEING IT ANYWHERE....

WELL OFF TO GO LOOK FOR SOME MORE SHEDS AND MAYBE A FEW LONG BEARDS!

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 pm

We went out for a few hours today and found two 8point sides.

We are still seeing bucks with racks too.

Funny thing,We parked the truck in a bean stubble field and
the three of us got out and walked toward the woods to look for sheds, On the way back to the truck I seen a shed 25 feet in front of the truck.
Just goes to show how hard they are to see!!!!

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 pm

first sheds of season.. eastern pa

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Just got back from shed hunting at our farm. Walked the fence line along the back of the woods....nothing. Rode the ATV slowly through the corn stubble stopping every once in a while to look...nothing. I did find half of a deer skull though.
Nice day, sunny 50's.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Shed Hunting