food plots for Turkey

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
msbadger

RE: food plots for Turkey

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 am

I've also decided to plant a combination pf reg. corn and milo....I want to collect the seed heads to help off set the cost of feeding our chickens....should be great for the wild birds as well....I'm still working on the whole tall road cover thing....My wht spruce could have cooperated and grown bigger faster[8|][;)]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I've only ever had Ladino clover in our food plots and the turkeys (&deer) seem to like it pretty well. A friend who has some land just down the road from our lease planted Chufa and said the trukeys absolutely wore that stuff out. He said that you would see every turkey that lived in the area, because once they figured out Chufa was there, they'd be around almost any time of day. Chufa doesn't like all types of soil and it is prohibitively expensive, but it is a turkey magnet. You'd also have to plant well in advance of turkey season so the nuts would have time to mature first.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Try planting millet mixed with iron and clay cowpeas. The deer will eat up the cowpeas as it climbs the millet and the turkeys will flock to the millet.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management