NY Safety zone for bows

tonyotony

NY Safety zone for bows

Postby tonyotony » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 am

I see that, for example, you can now discharge a bow as long as your at least 50yards away, without permission from an occupied building in New Jersey, and the discharge zone is also reasonable in other states (Delaware, for example). Here in NY, it is still 500 feet, the same as any firearm. I wrote to the NY DEC, and they support lowering the safe discharge zone for bows, but it must be a NY legislative act(out of the hands of DEC, in their words). So, is there anything in the works in NYS, so that we can bowkill more suburban deer, and not have the same restrictions as a firearm? Any lesislators that support or actually bowhunt?

OptimO

RE: NY Safety zone for bows

Postby OptimO » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:42 am

I'm not exactly sure about this but it makes a lot of sense to me. Lets think about this for a minute... what are the chances that the government will actually give the people what they want?? The answer is slim to none unless they can make a profit on it. To sum it up... the government will never change the laws because it'll cost to much.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm

I live in the woods...most of our family own homes in the woods...We hunt but we are also surrounded by hunters and NO I DO NOT want the set back to change...many of your 5 acre country lots have ppl living deeper into the woods ...It will just cause conflict....You think we really need any more of that?...NY'er can hunt 7 days a week for 3 months..not just bow ...Ppl have a right to go out on their own property and enjoy it with out worrying ...50yrds!WTH[8|]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm

50 yards is way too close to be hunting near someone's dwelling . There is always a chance of launching an arrow into someones yard . Keep it at 500 feet !
Semper Fi !

Return to New York