What Can We Do?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Bob Olsen

RE: What Can We Do?

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 am

I'm 56 years old and have interacted with many people from all types of backgrounds, some good, some not so good. I've had encounters with Postal Carriers, Store Clerks, Supervisors, Car Mechanics and there are good and bad in every group. For me, I used to have a narrow mind about car mechanics until one Sunday afternoon my fuel pump went out while I was in Lincoln, Illinois. The tow-truck driver dropped me and my truck off at 5:30 p.m. I was doing my best to engage in coversation with the mechanic and he was sorta quiet, which brought out one of my insecurities and made me think "uh oh", I'm gonna get soaked. Well it turns out he was just a good listener but, not much of a talker. Here's the kicker, when he was done replacing my fuel pump and with labor too I think (but not sure) I paid something like $79.00. So as Aesop would say, " The moral of the story is do not stereotype people". Do not hold other CPO's accountable for the actions of one bad encounter or one bad officer. To do so is simply not fair.
When I left the service station I thanked David Duvall for helping me in a pinch and invited him to hunt on my farm in Pike County. When I called him the next season, he didn't even remember. He said he's heard a lot of stories before and kinda put me into the same group of "Story Tellers". We are still friends today, and I would rather see him shoot a 180" Buck than get one myself. Oh yeah, I also thanked God for opening my eyes.

Previous

Return to Breaking News