Found sheds already

rackaddict

Sheds

Postby rackaddict » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Yea thats wierd to find sheds so early! I found my first one on Christmas eve day... Earliest ever. I've read thats a sure sign winter is going to be tough, and that is a deers natural way of conservining nutrition is to shed them early. Just another one of Mother Natures way of taking care of the wildlife I guess!
RACKADDICT

Jslotter

RE: Sheds

Postby Jslotter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 pm

I noticed mature bucks will shed earlier than subordinate bucks. It has to alot with the amount of stress the buck endures during the rut. I hear some stories of bigger bucks rutting hard for the first two weeks in November and fall into post rut by December. By the end of December their hormones are burned out and shedding occurs. This is just what I noticed from other hunter`s observations.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

I haven't found any sheds this year yet..too much snow.

I will be out at the farm over Easter and will look more then. I spent 13 hours on snowshoes there a few weeks ago, so I know where to focus my efforts (based on the signs I saw) when I go out again.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm

I feel your pain Patriot. when we had that warm streak last week my buddies and I sweeped miles of public land and found nothing. then we get 10 inches of snow lastnight. cant catch a break around here.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:06 pm

My next opportunity will be Easter weekend. I'm getting really tired of all this snow!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 pm

No kidding. This snow sucks! I turkey hunt in 3 1/2 weeks, and  I don't want to be sitting in a snow bank!

Previous

Return to Minnesota