food plots

HiddenHornsRanch

RE: Food Plots

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:53 am

I wasnt able to plant this year. We had problems with cattle breaking into our food plot which wasnt very large, maybe 1/2 an acre, so we just now finished fencing off 2 acres along our creek line...some of my buddies have planted peas, and the deer are hitting them pretty hard around here, not really giving them a chance to grow...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Mon May 05, 2008 3:28 am

I purchased some Arrest, from Cabelas, to kill grass in my clover. It did little to the grass. Thirty Dollars down the drain! I would not recommend Arrest. Not sure what works.? Heard bad reports on Poast too.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon May 05, 2008 6:03 am

I planted a 1/2 acre of corn (corn lightly planted) and brassicas. I have mowed my 1/2 acre plot of durana clover.  I have my corn and brasscias  plot culti-packed and am now waiting on some more rain. I had some niehbors cows busting my fence last year. Last winter I did a lot of fenceing to keep them out. I am thinking this year somebody will be paying me crop damage if it happens again. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

hard county

Postby hard county » Tue May 06, 2008 3:27 pm

ORIGINAL: loneranger

I purchased some Arrest, from Cabelas, to kill grass in my clover. It did little to the grass. Thirty Dollars down the drain! I would not recommend Arrest. Not sure what works.? Heard bad reports on Poast too.

I dont know when you sprayed it, but sethoxydim (the active ingredient in arrest) usually takes 1 to 2 months to go into affect. You can save about 30$ by buying the sethoxydim in a gallon size. It will treat four acres and has always worked great for me.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:12 am

we just got everything in.. hopefully all goes as planned

chris

Postby chris » Tue May 13, 2008 3:15 pm

have three acres in of antlerking red zone, antlerking minerals refilled,working on 4 acre corn plot, 20 acres to go come july.

[/align]

msbadger

RE: food plots

Postby msbadger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:56 am

Gatlin sorry for late post....I think because thats been covered by alot of us in other posts....calcium and protien are rack builders which if legal deer minerals will cover on calcium...protien ...well I'm not one to use the store bought Deer seeds and that is preferance....I plant many differant things but lime lime lime ...many new growers don't realize that it takes 6+mos to truely work in your soil and then a little needs to be added each year once #'s are up....late season like this ...if your in warmer climate I'd say buckwheat to start a plot...if not a bracc like turnips or if you want winter greens by Whttail Inst.  I use winter tritical but you can buy buck oats....planting times depend on location....I'll tell ya I bought samples from the white tail inst.....and they now send me their magazine 2-3 times a year and I love it for the info they put in there....The extreme is great...secret spot is great...not so impressed with the clover...but my deer prefer the jumbo clover I plant...go figure....test soil ...because lime is'nt the only nutrient that one needs to grow good crops.... 

RNC

Postby RNC » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 am

For a new plot get a soil test done and add lime as needed to get the ph to netural. The full benefit of the lime wont happen right away. when we did our plots we disked the soil, limed, after the weeds came up we sprayed a weed killer from the co-op, disked and fertilized, rolled the soil for a good seed bed, planted and rolled again. We also drove a sand point well so we can water the plots if we dont get enough rain. We planted in late july the first year and used a mix of brassicas, rapes, turnips and other late season annuals. The next year after the lime had its full effect we incorpirated pernennials such as chickory and ladindon clover. We also have one plot set up for turkey and plant chuffa in that.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:43 am

I like to add chicory to just about any mix I plant.  Most others in the area stick with clover or alfalfa, so I feel like the chicory provides the deer something no one else is giving them which might help make my plots a little more desireable.  The deer seem to love it as well.

Gatlin

Postby Gatlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:53 am

well where i hunt it is extremely sandy!!! is there different types of seeds for sand??? what do yall recomend??

Next

Return to New York