Flash lights

14milecreekbucks

RE: Flash lights

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 am

I use an LED headlamp by streamlight with 3 settings red, green, and white, mine is adjustable so you can look up or ahead without shining the whole woods. They are a little pricey (30-35$) but it also works great for tracking deer after dark if nessecary.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.
After an exhaustive search and review online, I've narrowed my choices down to a items of interests. I'll keep everyone's comments in mind while I make my final decision.Image

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 pm

I use a Petzl headlamp. Its small and is reasonably bright and very reliable in all types of conditions. It also comes with colored lenses you can switch out. I also use a Surefire G2 flashlight with an LED bulb incase if I have an emergency or need to track an animal in the night.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 pm

ORIGINAL: MSHunter

Thanks for the replies everyone.
After an exhaustive search and review online, I've narrowed my choices down to a items of interests. I'll keep everyone's comments in mind while I make my final decision.Image

Since it's been a year now....what light did you choose?

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 am

I use a simple white LED head light and a small hand held. I use them most for safety from other hunters! But I like to keep all my electronic gadgets using the same batteries.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am

I personally only use headlamps that use the ''coin cell'' batteries....they last 20 times longer than any AA batteries..and the headlamps that use them are a bit more pricey but worth it in my opinion....i also only turn mine on so i don't get shot...by some arrow shlinging maniac...i can usually see without a light at all to get back to the truck.

Another advantage of the headlamp compared to handheld is climbing down tree,and gutting a deer....leaving your hands free for whatever .../ i always carry a backup -small handheld,or another headlamp ....it sucks when your 25 ft up a tree in blackness and knock your headlamp off...

I also have a ''petzel'' brand..and a Gander mountain brand headlamp,that take the coin cell batteries-- both A+ in my book!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:33 pm

As with all my gear, I buy the best gear I can possibly afford for hunting, and I make cuts somewhere else where/when I can to help achieve this....

I carry a Surefire flashlight but it`s for backup, because I use a Surefire headlamp, as it leaves my hands free to carry gear and when climbing into my ladder stand. Surefires quality, dependability, and customer service have impressed me, as well as the brightness of their lights......
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

metrx

Postby metrx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Not a fan of the headlamp...too much movement and the light is all over the place when its on.  I generally dont use a light unless its pitch black and/or in a new area.  If need be, a mini maglight is sufficient going to and from stand and pointed low and at the ground.  I usually have my tree marked with glow tacks, and once I locate the tree, dont use a light to climb in and out.
Know your equipment and know it well, you wont need a light to climb and hoist equipment up and down the tree. 

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Headlight with the climber, only because I can't see the holes. Don't use a light for any other stands. I always carry the Headlight in my backpack just in case.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

As with all my gear, I buy the best gear I can possibly afford for hunting, and I make cuts somewhere else where/when I can to help achieve this....

I carry a Surefire flashlight but it`s for backup, because I use a Surefire headlamp, as it leaves my hands free to carry gear and when climbing into my ladder stand. Surefires quality, dependability, and customer service have impressed me, as well as the brightness of their lights......

Surefire makes probably the best lights I ever used. They are tough and they work real well. They can be spendy, depends on which model you choose.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Accessories