Cleaning Dirty Sheds

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
MG11

Cleaning Dirty Sheds

Postby MG11 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Just wondering if anyone cleans their sheds? I found a mud covered shed and cleaned with dove soap and water. This soap is gentle so I'm hoping it wont fade or damage the shed. Any thoughts?
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear

PastorZig

RE: Cleaning Dirty Sheds

Postby PastorZig » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 pm

I never thought anything about soap damaging the antler. I guess what I've done in the past is just wait for the mud to dry and then rub it off.

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 pm

I've used concentrated laundry soap and a nylon brush in the past. I have also used "Tek" solution; this works better, but I don't use more than a couple of capfuls of it. Scrub the antler in this "soap bath," then immediately take it out and rinse with clean water. To restore the "natural" stain appearance, apply a thin coating of linseed oil. This gives it that natural luster.
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:52 pm

If you are worried about the soap damaging the antler, I would just use plain water.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

I just use plain water. Never had to use any kind of soap. There isn't much that can harm an antler. I've had some sheds that have had a lot of black marks on them from deer rubbing on certain trees. Seems like every year I will get one or two like that. I take strong thinner and mild steel wool and rub the ugly marks off, with no harm to the antler.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Shed Hunting