How long did it take to get your first deer.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
RNC

How long did it take to get your first deer.

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:36 am

This was on the old forum and I think its good to show new hunters that it could take a bit before they get their first. So new hunters dont get fustrated and give up.

It took me five seasons to get my first deer. I missed several deer in those begining years and we also changed hunting spots for two years where we saw very few deer at all. Then on a morning hunt of season five I got lucky, real lucky and finally took a spike. The hunt didnt start well. It was real foggy that day and I missed my stand and took a little time to find it. When the spike showed up I was wet and cold. I was shaking from the cold and excitement that it was tough getting the bow back. I got lined up and let the arrow go. Of course I peeked at the arrow and pulled the shot high and left. The arrow it just under the spine and caught the arttery. The spike ran in a semi circle, looked back and tipped over. Not proud of the shot but was sure proud of my first buck. Twenty-five years later that hunt is still crystal clear in the mind's eye.  I have taken bigger deer since then but that spike will always be one of my best deer ever taken.

Since then I have be lucky enough to be hunting with my brother and brother-in-law when they took their first deer with a bow.

bckklr

RE: How long did it take to get your first deer.

Postby bckklr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:41 am

started gun hunting @ age 10 took my first deer @ age 13 (doe) started bow hunting @ age 16 took my first deer @ age 18 (doe) that same archery season i missed 5 more does with my bow i have managed to take @least 1 deer every archery season since other than 1 when i moved out of state & had noplace to hunt nothin will put a smile on your face like helping someone take their 1st be it a kid or 60 year old person usualy im happier than the person with the deer
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:55 am

I didn't start until I was 23. My Father in law asked me to try deer hunting so I went more less to humor him. The first few days I did more sleeping then anything. On the 3rd day they put me in one of the better spots, and about 9am I shot a button buck ( I know now is a no no ) and a doe. It seams like just yeserday. The thing I remember most is the primal instinct that I felt, like this was the most natural thing, and why haven't I tryed this sooner. I've been hooked ever sense.

As far as bow kill's goes I'm still trying after 4 years now. I pulled back once but didn't shoot cuz I had no shot.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 am

I started deer hunting at age 12 and shot a doe with my gun at age 12.  I am starting bow hunting this year which will be much harder

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:41 am

I started bow/gun hunting at 12, shot my first deer at 12 with a gun (doe) and quit bow hunting after that year. Still remember every single detail of that hunt, yet look back at pictures of other deer that i've shot and can't even remember what stand i was in when i shot them. Picked up bow hunting again 2 seasons ago and i am forever HOOKED.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Bow Hunting:

It took me 4 Seasons (2003,2004,2005 & 2006) to get my first Deer with my Bow,I had hunted for the past 3 seasons with several close calls and a few missed shots but I finally shot a nice 6-Point Buck in October of 2006 as I was sitting in my climbing stand over-looking a Fall Wheat Field and watching a Doe with a young Fawn make their way down the field towards me when I saw movement on my right side,a Buck was walking the 1st bottom field edge and crossed a dry creek bed and turned left towards my stand as he was browsing along the old grassy road path on the next field edge,He crossed below and in front of my stand about 10-15 yards out and I let him pass me to the left before I drew back my bow and setting my pin at about 20 yards I clicked the trigger on my release and the arrow hit the Buck in the left shoulder and passed through out the front of his chest onto the ground.....he ran about 35 yards and dropped on the neat mowed path!It can take a lot of time and patients to get a Deer with a Bow and scent control/reduction plays a very big part! 

Rifle Hunting:
It has been so many years I don't really remember how many years it took before I got my first Deer with a Gun but it wasn't very long and I have been Gun Hunting for over 35 years now and I can't honestly say that Bow Hunting has taught me more skills and patients because of more time in the field and a profound appreciation of the accomplishment of getting a Deer with a Bow!

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:40 pm

I shot my first deer with a gun on my 3rd day of hunting when I was 12. It was a button buck but I was excited and it was awesome.     I shot my first deer with a bow on my 2nd night out hunting. It was a big mature doe and she only ran 75 yards. I was pumped and I am now addicted to bow hunting!
Kyle

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 pm

I started deer hunting at 16. I killed my first deer at 18.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:03 am

6 yrs for gun...it was after I had a buck jump a hedge row and land on me...kicking the baggeegee out of me...gotten one every year since...
2yrs with bow

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:33 am

Back when I got started in the early 80's, the herds were not what they were.  Doe were fairly common, but a buck was hard to come by.  Also I was a bow hunter. Also Ohio only allowed one deer tag per hunter per season. Also, I was stubborn.  I wanted to get a buck, and I turned down one opportunity after another to bag a doe.  As a result, it took four years to get my first deer.

Looking back on it, I certainly could have nailed a doe the first season. I might have been able to bag one the first weekend.  I was passing on good shooting opportunities nearly every time I went out.  On the other hand, I would have missed the whole rest of the season, and most of 3 seasons after that. 

Now I have Mooseboy, #2 son. He bagged his first in his third season at age 12.  He turns 16 this year and this will be his first season on his own.  In the past, he's taken pot luck.  However, he's announced that he's holding out for a buck.  However, he's got two tags. My guess is that he'll hold to his pledge through early Muzzleloader season and all the way until Noon of the rifle opener.  Whatever walks through next . . .
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions