Oklahoman sentenced for killing BP buck

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
dewey

Oklahoman sentenced for killing BP buck

Postby dewey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Here is an article from Field and Stream about a hunter that poached a GIANT deer in OK and then also had ~100 other untagged antlers in his possession. Seems like a very light penalty. 20 years with no hunting privileges, HELLO he is a poacher he doesn't need a license. How about taking all of his guns/truck or car that was used to transport the poached animal. Plus a restitution for the animals killed. A lot of states have weighted restitutions about how much a trophy is worth to the state.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fie ... news040611

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Bob Olsen

RE: Oklahoman sentenced for killing BP buck

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Maybe we should stay out of states that allow this to happen until they come up with more stringent "Poaching Laws". Hang 'em by his "Nerds"

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:47 pm

That's bad and a shame. All I can say.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 pm

I agree that taking away someones hunting privelages who doesnt abide by the law is fruitless.I also think he should pay restitution as a per fine per deer...i also think he should be liable to re-imbursement for the tags he should have had...if its proven they were poached...

I also think all states should impose some sort of restiution as far as community service...perhaps cleaning a local park ,garbage cans,trash pickup,maintenance etc,easing costs for the state while getting something back.I also think these guys who are extreme poachers if you will ...should have to speak to a crowd of young hunters and try to make amends for their actions ...turning young hunters away from their stupid decisions...while a conservation police officer is present...this would be way more constructive than the less deterant fines ....

A year or 2 of giving back to the community this individual did damage to,and at least a public apology in front of youth hunters should be mandatory-besides the heavy fines,per deer,and some jail time.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Ohio has a weighted restitution law for poaching. This past season a man was charged with hunting with the aid of a motor vehicle, shooting from a roadway and hunting without permission. He was ordered to 48 hours in jail, $400 in fines, $151.50 in court cost and to forfit the deer. In addition, he will lose his hunting privileges for 2 years. The big hit was a fine of $23,818.95 for the buck he poached. That # is calculated based on the score of the rack. The calculated fine also relates to all game, including fish. Nice, huh? Ohio also is a member of the Wildlife Violator's Compact with 36 other states, which means that he will also loose his hunting priv in those states too.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 pm

It makes me sick every time I hear a story like this. Lifetime hunting ban would only be the beginning if it were me handing out the punishment. If someone broke any other law 100+ times they would certainly be doing some hard time, community service, etc... He should have to do volunteer work for the park for life. What a loser.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

badappleoutdoors

Postby badappleoutdoors » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:25 am

I have to agree, why are they suspending his hunting privileges for 20 years? He was abidding by the laws to begin with, why is this hurting him? I believe jail time and confiscation of alll items used in the commission of the crime should be confiscated. Plus a weighted fine for the animals he took illegally.

dewey

Re: RE: Oklahoman sentenced for killing BP buck

Postby dewey » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 am

Ohio farms wrote:Ohio has a weighted restitution law for poaching. This past season a man was charged with hunting with the aid of a motor vehicle, shooting from a roadway and hunting without permission. He was ordered to 48 hours in jail, $400 in fines, $151.50 in court cost and to forfit the deer. In addition, he will lose his hunting privileges for 2 years. The big hit was a fine of $23,818.95 for the buck he poached. That # is calculated based on the score of the rack. The calculated fine also relates to all game, including fish. Nice, huh? Ohio also is a member of the Wildlife Violator's Compact with 36 other states, which means that he will also loose his hunting priv in those states too.

Seems like Ohio has a good system.

Here is a link to the list of states that are in the Wildlife Violator's Compact.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/LawSubh ... fault.aspx

I am glad that MN is part of this list.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to Breaking News