Safety harness/stand height

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
jonny5buck

Safety harness/stand height

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 pm

I searched looking for this topic.... i couldnt find it but think it is appropriate for this area to post. One of the most false senses of security in my eyes is the safety harness....nowadays it"s something that almost all hunters use or are willing to use.

The bigger problem is getting back in your stand ....you might be suprised at how much strength it actually takes to get back in ....one of the best exercises [Imo] to see where you are is the dip...where you basicaly lower your body bendiing the arms taking all of your weight and pressing back up using your shoulders,chest and triceps....this is very similar to what you would encounter if you fell and were hanging from your harness.

I am fourtunate enough that when i went to carpenter training school we were suspended from a harness,for fall prevention....and felt how un comfrotable it is to be in the harness......all of your weigth goes to your shoulder sockets and groin....if left for a while you will become weak as the blood supply is slowly being cut-off.

Please dont get fooled into thinking a harness is a save all device ...it ISN'T!.. it is just to prevent the fall...than you are depending on yourself and your strength to get back into the stand...upper body strength is essential for this type of ''self recovery''...maybe -JPH can show some basic dip movements and a link--

4khorn

RE: Safety harness/stand height

Postby 4khorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm

I don't worry about not being able to get back into my stand too much because Im hunting from a ladder stand or am using climbing sticks. If I were hunting from a climber it would be a different story. I could definately see a problem getting back into it. This is why all hunters should take a cell phone with them into the field, and keep it on them at all times. It doesn't do any good to have it in your pack when you are dangling from the tree, or worse, lying on the ground. For those of you who are too stubborn, thinking it takes away from the "real" hunting experience, think of the others in your life. You don't have to even turn it on. But it could mean the difference between coming home or not. The other thing is to look into taking some type of rope that you could use to relieve the pressure on your legs should you find yourself suspended.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Good point. Most vests include a "suspension relief strap" that is connected to the back bottom of the vest. It has a loop at the distal end that you put your foot in to remove the pressure off of your shoulders and groin. This will help you to gain enough balance to hopefully allow you to get back to your stand or at least get back to the tree. You should practice this a few feet off the ground to make sure that you can accomplish this. Someone should be with you when you try it it case you need help. Having said that, a harness will keep you from hitting the ground, but the battle is not over. You are not safe until you get back on the ground. Don't take anything for granted up there.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:21 pm

HSS harnesses come with that suspension relief strap to prevent blood pooling in your legs. The biggest cause of injury and fatality of hunters is falling from tree stands.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Not trying to be ''critical' 4khorn- But hunting out of a ladder stand and sticks still doesnt guarantee you wont fall,and if you did no way of knowing that you will be able to simply climb in.

I agree with the comments about the suspension relief straps i have one w/ my harness..i have the one that came with my Summit Climber...it has the prussic knot which i prefer to dial in the tension...it also doubles as a linesman belt..so less to carry..and able to do more with it.

I dont want anyone to miss the point of this thread either,its that after the fall your on your own....unless you have actually fallen...felt the ''snap'' and initial shock ...you can only assume what it is like..me included.I have been lifted in a controlled environment[ with a cherry picker]...and in front of 20 other guys..after the initial embarassment wears off you quickly realize IT HURTS ...you do not want to be there at all.....even the most fit guy could dislocate a shoulder or worse get part of your junk caught in the crotch strap!!

If you had to rely on your self...injured...could you ..get back to safety??? strength is a big big part of it..besides staying cool,calm yourself down...my buddy carries a a small fixed blade knife in a sheath ty wrapped to his harness at almost shoulder height...in case you had to cut your tether strap...something to think about...i have shimmied down a tree before...road rash and a little scary....also if you have the unfortunate experience of coming to the aid of someone suspended in their harness for a long time be aware that moving them ''quickly in an upright position can kill them..it has to do with the blood pooling needs to take place GRADUALLY...this is inextreme cases...thats why they give the suspension relief straps...to alleviate that problem.-Be safe-Stay fit-

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I think this an excellent thread and an important thing to discuss. I will not pretend to be an authority on tree stand safety but I don't think that anyone would argue against the importance of overall strength when dealing with fall recovery.

I would say that there are three primary exercises that directly impact a hunter's ability to recover from a fall. I agree with jonny5buck that the dip is one of them. Dip tutorials can be found here http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=22014 and here http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=95230 . The next exercise that I think is a must for a treestand hunter is the pull-up. I'm not sure pull-ups need much of an introduction but not everyone can do them. Those who need help progressing to pull-ups should look here http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=23630 . Finally, for those who have the ability to perform high rep sets of pull-ups, I suggest the bar muscle-up. I'm having trouble linking a video of them, but I'll try later.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:18 pm

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:26 pm

I have been using the HSS harness for several years and don't go in a stand without wearing it . Last winter I bought a CDS ( Controlled Decent System ) harness which I havn't tried yet . I don't want to be a ststistic .

http://www.mountaineer-sports.com/products.php
Semper Fi !

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness