How long did it take to get your first deer.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
SyracuseBowhunter

RE: How long did it take to get your first deer.

Postby SyracuseBowhunter » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 pm

It took me 3 seasons to get my first deer with a gun, a 4 pointer coming through the far side of a saddle.  Had to drag it by myself about 1 mile back to the car.  I didn't care!  Had the shakes so bad I sat on a stump and looked at it for 30 minutes. 

I didn't have anyone to teach me but love the outdoors and so ended up teaching myself and studying deer movement. I was 24 years old.

After I took up bowhunting, it took me 2 seasons to get a deer with a bow.  Now I am an avid bowhunter and love it better than gun hunting (but I hunt with shotgun,rifle, and muzzleloader too).
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm

I don`t remember exactly how long it took......but it was a while.

I started hunting white-deer in earnest in 1982. Deer in Indiana weren`t plentiful then, but they were beginning to make their presence known, and guys were getting excited about them. I got drawn for a military installation hunt, and was excited. I went with my Winchester 1200, with a smooth bore slug barrel, and actually got a shot at a deer, but missed. My buddy, Joe Kattau, killed a small doe that morning, and it was cool as anything.

I hunted as hard as I knew how to after that. Places to hunt that held white-tails were hard to come by, and I had nearly zero knowledge about my prey, but I had become addicted to cheasing them.

I soon learned about a spot in the Hoosier National Forest that was heavily hunted, but reportedly held lots of white-tails. I began making the 2 1/2 hour drive back and forth daily on the weekends. I had become somewhat familar with the area when Joe and I used to camp there and hunt grey squirrels, and we had seen deer often.

I spent several seasons driving to the Hoosier every weekend day, hunting hard, but had no luck. I had no idea how to pinpoint an area in the huge tract of forest land that seemed to all look the same, that white-tails might prefer. I was becoming frustrated, and tired too, as all the driving was wearing me out.

On the last day of deer season, in 1995, I had planned on driving yet again to the Hoosier National Forest to log my last deer hunt of the season. I over slept that morning, and nearly didn`t go, but I jumped out of bed, stuffed my gear into the vehicle for the last time that deer season, and headed south to the Hoosier. I got to the area I parked much later than usual, and it was already beginning to show color in the sky when I parked. I hurridely grabbed all my gear, and started to head into the timber, when I realized  I hadn`t accounted for my hunting license yet, and I dejectedly headed back to the car to look for it. I assumed I had left it at home, and figured I`d be driving back home this morning. I frantically dug thru my vehicle, and incredibly, I found my deer tag.

I hiked back the neary 2 miles into the forest I`d decided I`d hunt that last morning. There was an old cemetery back in the forest, that had not only a ton of grey squirrels, but lots of deer activity. I`d seen deer there on occasion, so into the brightening woods I sped.

I didn`t know about climbing stands in those days, so I hunted exclusively from the ground. I got to the back side of the cemetery, picked a hickory tree to lean against, kicked the leaves awawy from the base, and slid down to the ground. I was disappointed, and let down, not expecting any action coming into the woods so late.

I`d been sitting 45 minutes, and it was nearly full daylight now, when I heard footsteps in the leaves. I sighed as I readied  myself to stand and show myself to the approaching hunter, as I`d done so many times over the past few years in the huge forest. I had laid my shotgun in the leaves and had started to push myself up when I caught a pacth of brown moving towards me.

Immediately, my heart was in my throat, and my breathing was  strained. A 4-point buck was walking in my direction, and I was shaking badly.

The noise he made was astounding, as I`d always assumed that deer always traveled quietly, but I could only think that because he thought he was alone, he wasn`t concerned with stealth. He dropped into a ravine only 40 yards in fron of me, and when his head dropped out of sight, I shouldered the 1200. He seemed to dawdle in that draw, and I could hear him rooting around, but it seemed like forever that he stayed in that bottom.

Finally, he emerged, and began a slow, casual walk, quartering sightly away from me, less that 30 yeards away, oblivious to my presence. I put the open sight behind his shoulder, and touched off, what would be, a life changing, round. At the report, the buck dropped where he stood, and lay still.

I was trembling so badly, I had to lay the shotgun down and lean against the tree for support. It wasn`t lost on me-the significance of what I`d just done.

I drug that buck the 2 miles back to my car-it took better than 3 hours to drag him across the rough terrain and I was absolutely spent by the time I reached my car.

I was so proud of that buck-I took him absolutely on my own. I picked the Hoosier National to hunt-I picked the particular spot to hunt by the cemetery. I hunted, alone 90% of the time, rain, snow, easy, hard, tired, pumped or fed up. And finally, I had my buck in the freezer.

It was in the top four of the most life-changing events to occur in my life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:54 am

I started deer hunting as an adult.

It was my third day of rifle season that I got my first. Using my uncles 30 06.

A herd of doe 15+ strong and fawns came out to feed.

I picked the largest, she was maybe 50 yards.

Spine shot, she flipped straight up in the air and dropped.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 am

The first deer I killed was Oct.1st. 1976 He was a 90# cowhorn buck still in velvet. I was walking a trail up hill to a tree I had climbed before. I had my Baker climber in one hand and my Whitetail hunter in the other. The buck was standing under an oak tree eating acorns, when I saw him I dropped down to one knee,put the stand down and knocked an arrow, when I stood up I was at full draw and he was still there.The arrow stuck him in the spine in front of the shoulder. He fell and started bleating, it sounded like a baby crying. The only thing I could think about was stop that noise. I grabbed his antlers and tried to break his neck. This didn't work so I stuck him with my pocket knife at the base of the neck like you stick a hog. Now he is breathing through this big hole in his neck and still bleating. I must have cut an artery because he finally died. I had hunted for 5 years before I made my first kill and so far this was by far the most difficult one so yet.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:17 pm

My first season of gun hunting I shot a 5 year old 100" inch 9-point buck, being only 13 years old I was very happy with a management buck. My first year of bow season ,I arrowed a nice 4 year old 125'' inch 8-point buck. I hunted IA  when I was 18, before all the hype and the permit draw lottery, and shot a 100" inch 9-point on a group deer drive. I legaly killed 9 deer in total,and one running yote that year for my hunting group of 30 hunters in IA.                   If ther is one piece of advise I could give out to new hunters. That would be to make the most of the time you have, tomorrow might be the last day you ever hunt again.     
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Ohio farms

Re: How long did it take to get your first deer.

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:15 am

Honestly, it took 15 minutes. We had scouted an area on private property in SE Ohio the week before the gun season opener. I sat about 50 yds above a well marked trail running along the side of a steep hill. 15 minutes into legal hunting a deer came down the trail and I got her. I think I was around 22 when it happened and pretty full of myself after my quick success. Reality hit when I didn't fire another shoot for 2 years.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:11 am

I started hunting (running dogs) when I was 8 years old. I missed my first deer at 9, then at 10 I killed my first deer on Thanksgiving day. It was a big buck but his antlers were all broken up from fighting. At age 12, I killed my biggest deer of my life on the last day of the season. It was a 285 lb 16 point buck that was so old he had a small goatee, and his hide had slashes of tanned leather from years of fighting. He was my 10th deer, and I had only killed one doe among the other 9. I'm now 60 years old, and have probably killed 250-300 deer with many in the last couple of years being does. I was about 25 before I ever climbed up into a tree stand with a rifle, and on the second day I killed a nice 8 point. These days I sit with a rifle practically every day of the season, and run the hounds on Saturdays and holidays.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

I'd say it took me about four years to actually kill my first deer. Just a doe on opening morning of that year. I hunted bow when I was 14 once and missed a doe my only time out. It was 16 to hunt with a gun here. I had maybe gone out once or twice a season with the gun until I was about 23. Didn't have any more success or really was a major part of my life until unfortunately my father passed away in 04. I had always shot skeet my entire life up until that point. My dad had cancer and wasn't too certain he would be able to hunt that year so I asked the guys at the club if I could hunt that year. My father passed away a few weeks before the season. I had gone with them and really fell in love with it. I'm now 32 by the way.

I missed an easy shot my first time hunting in 04 with them. 05 I hunted with them every weekend. Ended up getting two in one day that year. I've only hunted gun until this year. Managed to get at least two between gun and muzzleloader every year since. Killed a handful of bucks in that time, nothing trophy size. Any deer is cool though and each have it's own story.

This was basically my first year ever hunting with a bow. I've played or coached college soccer in the fall so never had the chance. First Sunday of the season during bow it was 80 out. Just went behind my house about a ten minute walk. Usually hunt two hours away with all the guys. I've hunted maybe five times ever behind my house, so thick. Had always heard deer around me but I could never see them. I spent seven hours clearing out shooting areas so I could actually be able to go on my hunch. It was 4 lanes only twenty yards long and maybe six yards wide I made spots for. I don't know if this deer I had seen my first night out hunting with a bow was spooked or what but it was the biggest deer I had ever shot at. Real early October so no chance of being in the rut. Probly about a 125 class deer. Anyways it came running through the water at full speed at that point I'm guessing a few hundred yard run. Came through like I had hoped to my next area. Made a perfect shot but I'm not sure if it heard me release the area or stopped and dropped dead for another reason but I was three inches over it's back. Few weeks later ended up getting a 8" spike. Overestimated distance I thought being 30 yards, only 24 but I still made a perfect shot. Just before dark we tracked it for an hour. Were only going another ten yards until we planned on coming back the next morning but there it was. Shot it was with fathers bow too. Rest of bow I seen nothing but nice bucks that I had no tags for. Even saw my first ten point while hunting at ten yards. It's ok though I was happy with what I had gotten it's how it goes.

Just bought all of my lifetime licenses this year. Sportsmen, muzzleloader, and bow. I do love hunting but it's the whole experience of doing it. Yet to take a true trophy deer but I have taken a trophy turkey that I had mounted.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Good for you Charlie. By the way, there is no such thing as an "easy shot". Some are just harder than others. Trust me, you are not the only one on this forum that has missed a "gimmie".
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Started deer hunting 3 years ago at the tender age of 59....Had done a lot of rabbit hunting in my younger days, but figured deer hunting would be too slow and boring.

Got 2 the first day I went. A young 4 point and a mature doe. Been hooked ever since and have had success with 10 more... :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions