Homemade tree stands

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
cjman

Homemade tree stands

Postby cjman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:59 am

[size="4"][size="2"]Has anyone built their own hunting tree stands?  I just built one that really works well. I found it at[/size] [/size]http://www.trytobuildthis.com/ has anyone ever tried building this one?  It was the most affordable way for me to get several stands into the woods.

paulie

RE: Homemade tree stands

Postby paulie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:05 am

I smell SPAM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Paulie...if it is I'll say this...I had no plans...plenty of scrap PT and nails bought a couple of eye bolts and a length of chain...I'm a woman and have no problem building or setting this stand....Mine looks more comfy than his[;)]

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 am

i have built multiple ladder type stands over the last45 years ive allways used wolmanized lumber and stainless nuts and bolts i used to bring a portable generator so i could run my saws and drills but they allways worked fine for about 5 years then it was time to replace them if anyone wants a diagram of these stands ill explain what you need hank k nowadays you can buy a steel ladder stand for about the same cost as making one

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:31 pm

I had a buddy weld me a lock-on type stand out of galvanized EMT condiut. It has an expanded metal floor and seat. It is heavy to hang, but since it's all welded there's nothing that can squeak. I chain the top to the tree and use a ratchet strap to keep the bottom in place. I have to use a seat cushion to sit comfortably, but it works.

If I had to do it again, I'd have it made a bit more roomy than it is.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

cjman

Postby cjman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:21 pm

msbadger, that stand looks nice as well.  The one I built from http://www.trytobuildthis.com cost me less than $8 to build. It took me about an hour to build, perhaps now that i have built one I could build my next ones much faster.  I just liked the cost and the simplicity of this one. I have sat in this one in a tree several times and it suits me perfect. Maybe sometime I will try to build one like yours. 

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:45 pm

I can't say I've built a hang-on stand, but me and my cousin have built multiple box stands for gun hunting.  I do, however have a couple of the small Gorilla hang-ons and the platforms are tiny so recently I put a peice of plywood over them and added support along the edges.  Their pretty heavy but luckily I drive the 4 wheeler up to the tree I plan to hang it on so it won't be too bad.  Ill try to get pics up soon. 
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 am

I have built hang-ons, ladder stands, climbers and shooting houses. I enjoy making my own.
Stump sittin since 1981

Drhunter2k

Postby Drhunter2k » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I welded many of my own hang-on stands over the years. I tried to keep them as light as possible but being a bigger guy, I always felt more comfortable with my stand being a bit larger. I have also built many ladder stands out of treated lumber with galvanized or stainless hardware. The only problem is, after a few years in the elements, they get a little noisy and slippery on the platform. Over the last 5 years, I have bought four 2 man ladder stands all for $90 each at Walmart when they were on clearance. I love the 2 man ladders for the roominess and will only use them from now on. It's getting harder to put up the hang-on stands since I am not getting any younger or smaller and I like the idea of being connected to the ground. I think I may try to weld a ladder stand together and see how that works out. Stay tuned......

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 pm

You can build two man ladders out of 1 inch square thick wall tubing,but I think you would spend more than $90.00 in materials. I build 16 foot one man ladders with EMT conduit. These work great for me,they are light enough that I can put them up by myself and I can drag them around behind my 4 wheeler.
Stump sittin since 1981

Next

Return to Tree Stands