What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers?????????????

LoveTHunt47879

What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers?????????????

Postby LoveTHunt47879 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm

OK i have already made a mistake... a true hunter would not steal someone else's hunting equipment. i was out mushroom hunting on my parents private property and was going to change the cards out of my trail cams i had set-up. When i approached the area my cameras were located, i noticed that both cameras were gone. What low-life's. I have heard from at least three other land owners around the area that are having trouble with coon hunters running their dogs on their land without permission. As was the case with my parents property around the time that my cameras were stolen. It would have been easy for them to steal them because of it being dark and the flashes going off when the hunter or their dog triggered the camera sensor. i am not pissed off at all coon hunters because there are those that follow the hunters code. i also had a $350 tree stand stolen out of the same woods a couple of seasons ago. I guess they needed the items more than i did   

eberhaar863828

RE: What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers?????????????

Postby eberhaar863828 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Sadly it's not that uncommon. I have heard that there is a little chip you can put on the trail camera to sort of low jack it so you can trace it when its stolen. I don't think its that expensive either. Might be a good option and you might find the other ones you had stolen. 
Ducks

TreeBeard

Postby TreeBeard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am

Someone who steals other people's camera's, tree stands, etc. is not a hunter at all; just a criminal.

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:44 am

ORIGINAL: TreeBeard

Someone who steals other people's camera's, tree stands, etc. is not a hunter at all; just a criminal.

Someone who steals from the 'rights' of others by trespassing, could be trying to cover that criminal activity by stealing the evidence that your camera contains!!

ORIGINAL: eberhaar863828

Sadly it's not that uncommon. I have heard that there is a little chip you can put on the trail camera to sort of low jack it so you can trace it when its stolen. I don't think its that expensive either. Might be a good option and you might find the other ones you had stolen.

If anyone finds information on this 'chip' for a trail camera, I'd be very interested!!!

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am

I've never really looked for it, but I was at a seminar and the speaker was on trail cameras and the chip was one of the things he talked about. I can't remember how much it cost for one but for some reason $125 sticks in my brain. I think it is an excellent idea though.

Also, we had one of out trail cameras stolen at our cabin. I remembered seeing the neighbor just before we left before we knew it was missing and mentioned it to my dad after we found out it was stolen. So my dad called up the guy and his wife answered and they talked awhile about it. We went up two weeks later to the cabin and the camera was sitting on the deck, but it was missing the film (this was a while back). So we caught the guy trespassing on the camera and that is why he stole it but at least his wife was nice enough to persuade him to give it back.
Ducks

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm

You corrected yourself, and you`re exactly right....no hunter would steal from another hunter......these are slob hunters at best.......you know the kind...they shoot 15 minutes before legal shooting time, they bust your hunt by walking all over the property even when they know you`re there......they`re likely poachers as well......
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Thieves are some of the worst kind of people. I'm fortunate that I have never had anything stolen out of the woods at my farm. I would be disgusted. What's wrong with some people??   
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I have not had anything stolen, yet. But with this in mind, I have cable locks on my cameras and my blind at our lease. It may not prevent them from being stolen, but atleast they will have to put some work into stealing them. My hope is that will be enough to discourage someone from trying to steal my gear.

Good luck!
Semper Fi,

Joe

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:25 pm

It's a great feeling when you don't want to use your equipment in a certain area because you know it will get stolen. I have a small wildgame inovations trail camera 6 mp, don't use it because I'm afraid it will be stolen.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Sorry to hear that...Ive had mine stolen and it stinks! We go up to the UP to hunt for gun every year, and no matter what..Someone's stuff gets stolen on that trip..It's really sad. I really go the extra mile and lock everthing up and make it as much of a pain in the butt for someone to steal them.

On a side note...If you get another camera, try putting the camera 10'-12' up in the tree angling down. This would mean they would have to get a ladder to get at it.. Just use screw in steps to get up there and that way you wont have to get a ladder. To me that would keep them from trying to get it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras