Calls

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
RNC

RE: Calls

Postby RNC » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:15 am

Wish I could figure out a diaphram mouth call that could make deer sounds. Would be nice to be able to call truly hands free.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:34 am

i use the can.. i cant say ive had much luck with it. i did have a doe come in last year while using it, so it didnt spook her or anything but i think it was just chance. i do have a $5 grunt call made my primos. its real small and it can make a variety of calls. when using that with a rattle bag i called in a nice 10 point twice, once i couldnt get the shot and the other time he spotted me and i couldnt move.. stare down for what seemed like 60 mins... he eventually just walked away. both times tho he came in looking for a fight. so im going to try the grunt/rattle combo again this year and see how it goes.

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:09 am

Gatlin- The buck growl is simple to use. It's just like any other grunt tube, it's just alot louder and harder to mess up. You can blow in it as loud as you can and it won't squeek or anything. The snort wheeze is pretty simple too, just Don't use it until the time is right. Watch the DVD that comes with it, practice it a few times and you'll be good to go.

Right after i got the buck growl/snort wheeze, i got in a pretty bad dirtbike accident and shattered my right wrist (the one i pull my bow back with) , shattered my left ankle bone, and fractured my left fib (i drive a clutch). HAHA-bad luck.... That was on sept. 2nd lastyear, a month before archery. I was in the hospital for 4 days and all i thought about was my brand new bow that i had just got and how i wasn't goin to be able to even use it. Well it turned out that i could pull my bow back just about in the middle of the rut, but i couldn't climb a tree with my climber yet. So, i started driving and all i did for about a week and a half was spot. I was anxious to see what the call was like, so i took it out spotting with me one night and you wouldn't believe the aggressive responses that i got lol. One was a nice 8 pt.- came from about 200 yards out to standing 20 yards from my truck, running straight at me the whole time ( i grunted and used the wheeze that time--he was MAD). So, If you want to practice with it, thats one thing you can do just to see how they react.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:33 am

I`ve used the "can, as well as the True Talker grunt tube, although, after hearing so many great reports, I`m likely going to give the Primos Buck Growl a try this season.

I actually used the "can" a few bow seasons back, to pull a huge 2 1/2 year old into bow range. Watched him rub a tree for 5 minutes, then when he stepped forward and started making a scrape, right at the end of legal shooting light, I put a Muzzy, 3-blade, 100 broadhead thru him. He didn`t go 30 yards. He field dressed over 200 lbs.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:12 pm

luuuuuvvvvvvvv them muzzy's!
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:21 am

This buckgrowl by primos that you guys are talking about.. I looked on the website and didnt see it. they do have a buck roar.. is that the same thing or similar?

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:22 am

Houck- it's the same thing. It is "officially" called the Primos Buck Roar, but people refer to it as either.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:18 am

ok thanks.. thats what i figured.. just wanted to make sure.

Gatlin

Postby Gatlin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 am

ok i might try the buck growl and the can. do yall recommend any other grunts? what about the mad inhale exhale call?

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 am

I use the "can" call and the primos hands free(set on young buck).I have spooked deer and had them snort(blow).I repeated the snort ,without a call, and had deer come back to me.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions