Remember your worms...

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

Remember your worms...

Postby msbadger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:24 pm

We all get so caught up in weed killing....fertilizing.... liming ...what seeds to plant and tilling ....but we see little mention of our biggest partners in these plotting endeavors...the earth worm...night crawls..red worms...ect...

They are our natural fertilizers...soil aerators..our friends. They eat our left over tubulars....dead roots and green manure. They enrich the soil with wonderful rich droppings...and we...well we stumble along killing thousands of them every year without a passing thought and not on purpose.

So when we our out there checking our soil ,take along a soil fork or spade some early cool morning. Pull up a clump of ground...check and see how well our little friends are doing and then remember they don't enjoy heat and burrow deeper in the heat of the day....till then....read labels and research do's and don'ts ...WTI had a good article a year or so ago on soil depth....fallow ground deep ...but you don't have to till deep after that..doing so just kills the worms....Thanks for reading ..Just food for thought Image 

Ben Sobieck

RE: Remember your worms...

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:24 am

That's an excellent point. Worms are nature's field plows. One thing I've often wondered is what to do with areas devoid of worms? Is it a good idea to introduce them? Maybe there's a reason nature selected that plot to be worm-free.

joemac

Postby joemac » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 am

Ok, earthworms are very important organisms for the soil.  But you have the cause and effect backwards.  The worm doesn't bring good soil (although it can help make good soil better), good soil brings earthworms.

Soil that is devoid of earthworms is beyond their repair, their is nothing there for them to eat.  It most likely needs organic material, which in food plots would be best applied by tilling under the plot several times.  I've not known ph to bother earth worms too much, but improving it will improve the green matter you put back into the soil.  The soil is the cornerstone of life in general. 

Once you've put some organic matter back into the soil, a good natural fertilizer like Aggrand food plot formula will go a long way towards bringing worms and other beneficial organisms back. 

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:46 am

Great points! I will now do my tilling mid-day. Thanks!!! [:D]
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements