Honest questions on Rages

Ohio farms

RE: Honest questions on Rages

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

I switched to rage II two years ago and have had no problems with the malfunctioning. The other nice feature is that they come with a practice head. It has dull blades that do not expand, so you get the same flight as with the true expandable. Kind of a nice feature. If you want to use an expandable, I would certainly use the Rage.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

I switched to rage II two years ago and have had no problems with the malfunctioning. The other nice feature is that they come with a practice head. It has dull blades that do not expand, so you get the same flight as with the true expandable. Kind of a nice feature. If you want to use an expandable, I would certainly use the Rage.

I've found this thread to be extremely helpful. Prior to this thread being started, I've never given mechanical broad heads any consideration. But, I've reconsidered. I'll be adding some mechanical broad  heads (leaning toward the Rage Twos) to some of my arrows this year. I need to get the bow to the shop for a tune up and then it'll be time to hit the range.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 pm

I took my first bowkill this last season with a 100 grain Rage 2. I hit the deer a little far back at 17 yards with a 400 grain arrow and 55 lbs. draw weight. the arrow went all the way thru leaving a gash on both sides about three inches long, also did good damage to a few ribs. The liver and diaphragm were completely shredded. The deer went about 50 yards and expired. I was and still convinced Rage heads are the way to go.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 pm

I switched to the Rage 3 this past season and took a 4 pointer at 26 yards from a treestand.  I have had some bad experiences with mechanical broadheads over the years as a whole (from failure to deploy to less penetration than a fixed blade head), but the main reason I use them is that I cannot get a truely good flight from fixed blades from my setup. 
The Rage's fly like a fieldtip.  However, the deer I took was quartering away hard.  I thought I hit him good...behind the shoulder.  Arrow stuck in buried almost up to the fletching and he ran only 30 yards.  Upon recovering the deer I immediately noticed alot of blood at the scene...the blood trail was plentiful as well.  However, upon further inspection of the deer during field dressing, I noticed no hole in the chest cavity.  The arrow had penetrated the skin, deflected around the left shoulder and exited out the throat.  The main artery in the neck had been cut explaining the large amount of blood loss.  Poorly placed shot but good results.  Probably would have gotten the same results with any head.
My point being, the hard angle and no shoulder penetration...but I will stick with them.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:31 am

I started using rage broadheads two years ago with good results. The doe i shot did not go 15 yards. The damage it did was unreal. But a little expensive. But worth the price.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Tim H

Re: Honest questions on Rages

Postby Tim H » Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 am

I can't speak to Rage broadheads, or any expandables. I've used fixed blades for all my hunting, and I currently shoot G5 Strikers. In response to the post by "MSHunter" it sounds like it could be a combo of nerves & different broadhead flight that ruined your shot. The only way to be sure is to practise with your broadheads. Actual practise is vital, I would go as far as to say that not practising prior to hunting with any broadhead is irresponsible. I practise all year round with field points, but sight my bow in & practise with broadheads for about 2 weeks before the season starts.
I prefer a replacable fixed blade broadhead, because you can practise with one set of blades, then replace or sharpen them before hunting.
Thanks for the posts about Rage broadheads guys, I have been thinking about making the switch for accuracy purposes as well.
"To succeed where others fail, go where others fail to go."

Previous

Return to Broadheads