foodplots vs fair chase

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Lot to Learn

RE: foodplots vs fair chase

Postby Lot to Learn » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:26 am

While I have not put in a plot before strongly considering  this year, and  I  know I  am late in the game. I am in  central IL and with all  the rain one of the farms I am fortunate enough to hunt hasn't been planted and it will not quit raining.   Any advice on what I can put in this late?  Also, like I said new to this, is it best to use the plots to keep deer coming through but not hunt directly over the plot? 

Eatdeer, I am in Greene county, you close by?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 am

LTL...thats hard to say...I don't know your lime situation and that is very important when deciding.....if you have time and space you can put in a few smaller plots and then choose which to use to keep deer on land feeling secure and well fed and which you wish to hunt within a few yrds of...also depends on how you would get to said plots...I have both...you may get away with a nice grain plot ...I prefer winter spelt it hadles moisture a bit better...but many go with winter wheat ...oats....this will give them feed through colder months and early spring....Google these differant seeds and gather the information that suites your soil and land configuation.....if its quick early hunting you want ...I say buck wheat and then before real cold weather overseed it with rye...leaving buck wheat stubble as protection to seed...then in spring till and replant...I swear by buckwheat to get the deer coming in looking for a treat.....

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks Ms,  I will do that. I drove by this afternoon and two tractors are sitting at field edge, so if it stays dry a couple days my problem may be solved.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:04 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: gutpile

if you are planting a specific area, with a preferd food inorder to attract deer to the area you hunt wouldn't that be like baiting?

I would say no, with my reason being the concentration of a bait pile vs. a food plot. Any food plot that would be as concentrated as a feeder or pile would be totally consumed proir to opening day. IMO, plots offer the deer far more oppertunities to avoid the hunter and they provide nutritional benifts to wildlife over a much longer time span.

Good answer, I heard they got some suppliments you can spread out on the ground and from what I hear the deer love it,  and  it helps em grow bigger racks, I wonder if it really works...Do you know anything about it...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:32 am

Good answer, I heard they got some suppliments you can spread out on the ground and from what I hear the deer love it,  and  it helps em grow bigger racks, I wonder if it really works...Do you know anything about it...

No, my little plot is not too advanced. I have never really bought into the whole "grow bigger racks through plots" thing. I tend to think it is a lot more about shelter, stress and time (at least here in the Midwest anyway).

I only have about 1 acre of clover, surrounding my cabin. I do not hunt over it. It tends to get night-time use. It's there to make the whole property more attractive and keep the does hanging around. So far, they are the best "bait" that I have found. [:D]

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:19 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

No, my little plot is not too advanced. I have never really bought into the whole "grow bigger racks through plots" thing. I tend to think it is a lot more about shelter, stress and time (at least here in the Midwest anyway).

I only have about 1 acre of clover, surrounding my cabin. I do not hunt over it. It tends to get night-time use. It's there to make the whole property more attractive and keep the does hanging around. So far, they are the best "bait" that I have found. [:D]

Yes keep the woman around and the boy's will hang about...Out here in Washington state I don't know of anybody with a food plot, I dont know how good they would be cause we have so much for them to eat, but I bet in the late summer they would use one...I dont think you could keep the elk out long enough to plant a good one here though...But attracting Elk is a good thing...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

SC bowhunter

Postby SC bowhunter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:06 am

I planted a half acre of whitetail institute chicory.It came up pretty good considering we've been in a drought since last year.I dont see them using it much in the day but they do browse through at night.This will be the first year i hunt over it.So who knows.My thinking is the longer i can keep does in it during the rut the better chance ill have of harvesting a nice buck this year.I think its fair chase.Plus acorn production will be down like last year since the drought.We have hickory nuts falling since last month.So i hope it helps them have some type of browse.Plus its not like im taking the padlock off my high fence to get in and shut the door so none of my artificially  insementated does get out or one of my trophy bucks escapes. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Lot, I'm just north of the adams county border here. I think your could still plant Brasscias, or Buck Forage Oats and still get a good plot by hunting season. I noticed it takes a couple years to really get the deer turned on to the plots in a high ag area, but you will still see some action anyway. If you can plot between bedding ,and a ag crop you will have some decent use, as the deer will use your plot as a stageing area.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:51 pm

this debate could go on for ever without a winner. I do believe food plots are fair chase you still have to put in your time and be in the right place at the right time and put a clean shot on a deer. I enjoy hunting food plots I have taken deer on food plots on natural trails food sources corn fields and bait piles. Just go out and hunt and enjoy the sport.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:14 pm

what is the difference between a wild  apple tree, a food plot, an agricultural field and an oak stand????

you could argue man put them all there...just when man put them there is different...hunting over food is fair chase..hunting over a food source with a high fence surounding it is killing or harvesting domesticated animals

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management